This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Lately, everything seems to be downright crazy. Finals are looming over our heads, but before we can think about finals, we have to concentrate on the millions of papers and other assignments that are due first. I don’t know about you, but I don’t even have time to think some days! Still, it’s more important now than ever to keep your head up and try to have a helluva time. Don’t forget that college is short, and before we know it, we’ll be in the *gasp* real world. Let’s enjoy what we have while we have it!

1) Take a lesson from Beyonce

Though this is good life advice in general, in this case, remember: you’re fabulous from the moment you wake up to the moment you go to sleep. You woke up like that!

2) Do something for yourself. 

Whether it’s an extra-long shower or a manicure or buying a new cute summer dress online, make sure that you don’t let yourself go unappreciated. Honestly, if you’re going to survive finals, you should feel good inside and out. “Treat yourself,” of course, includes a waffle from Wafel and Dinges or an ice cream cone or a chocolate bar, too. 

3) Laugh a lot!

There’s no better stress reliever than laughter. Whether that means hanging out with friends or popping on an episode of Parks and Rec, try to make time for a bit of laughter every day. Though it seems counterintuitive at times, you’ll actually be more productive if you’re not constantly doing homework. You can be ridiculous now and then! 

4) Do your homework.

This one is also pretty intuitive. But, from experience, if you get down and dirty with your homework, odds are you’ll be less stressed as time goes by. This is easier said than done, of course, but from my experience it pays off when you have some free time at the end of the week to do something fun.

5) Speaking of fun…plan your weekend! 

Legends speak of a world outside Morningside Heights. 

Every time I know I have fabulous plans for the weekend, I make sure to get my work done in time to actually enjoy those plans and not stress. I love having fun-filled weekends but those are usually only possible if my work is completed to a manageable level. It’s a good system of payoff. You can have fun at the end of the week only if you work hard during the week. Try it this weekend–it might motivate you to get your homework done sooner!

6) Don’t abandon your social life.

My general reaction when I see friends walking on campus.

It’s not worth it. In fact, abandoning friends and fun are probably detrimental to your mental health. Try to make time to see friends for as much as you can every day. Whether it’s during a meal or a club meeting, I always feel better if I see my friends during the day. I especially like having someone to go to the library or sky lounge with. No matter how crazy things get, “if a friend is there, then everything’s alright.” Wise words from Sir Elton. Friends are the best medicine for stress and general craziness of life.

7) SLEEP! 

I sound like my mom, but it’s important. If you’re going to wake up like Beyonce, you’re going to need at least six hours a night. You’ll feel better, and look better, too.

Elena is a sophomore at Columbia University majoring in English. In her free time, she writes for Her Campus and news for Spectator. She loves New York and her friends.