Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Columbia Blog

Best Places to Study Off Campus

By Bailey Springer
March 10, 2014 - 11:33pm

Midterms are the worst. After the past few weeks, I don’t think that I am physically capable of spending five more minutes on the fourth floor of Butler. I have a strong suspicion that the multitudes of other people stuck in the on-campus libraries for hours feel about the same way. Luckily, we live in New York City, which means you can discover plenty of nice study spots off-campus with just a little searching! Here are my favorite study spots on the Upper West Side, because, although doing work inevitably sucks, it’s a little less terrible in a beautiful building or trendy coffee shop. 1.     Aroma Espresso Bar (72nd and Broadway) READ MORE

Anyone? Anyone? Ferris? Ferris?

By Charlene François
March 10, 2014 - 3:46pm

Remember NSOP? We experienced things we’ll never get to experience again. We introduced ourselves to everyone and were so excited we didn’t even care how many times we answered the questions, “Where are you from?” and “What’s your major?”. We planned different ways to answer these repetitive questions out of respect for our mutual overexcitement: “Oh okay, my cousin’s friend’s aunt’s best friend’s boyfriend is from that town too! I’ve heard of it!” or “Awesome! That major sounds so cool” even though you really don’t think it does. Nonetheless, there was an undeniable hunger to being a new college kid;  we were hungry for the new experience and the thrill of it all. And really, we were hungry. We had so many activities that we were literally chomping at the...

12 Awesome Books by Women Writers

By Elena Nicolaou
March 7, 2014 - 4:32pm

I recently compiled a list of books to read over spring break. As I was writing, I realized how few women writers on the list. So, I decided to retrace my steps and give my lovely collegiettes a list of my favorite books by women. Of course female writers are just as good as male writers, but it's a fact that most of the literary canon is made up of men. Go Virginia Woolf and Jane Austen, am I right?  We can combat this by not only reading women, but by writing ourselves, too!  READ MORE

8 Electronic Tracks to Add to Your Playlist

By Lana Wang
March 3, 2014 - 9:17pm

I dedicate this article to my mom who refers to electronic music as "broken robot music". Disclaimer: this playlist is in no way representative of the "main genres" of electronic music, these are just some of my favs which happen to fall under the umbrella term. Anyways… I hope you enjoy!   Obscure: "Streamers" by Wave Racer  
READ MORE

To Thrift Or Not To Thrift? That is the Question.

By Charlene François
February 24, 2014 - 11:00am

This past weekend, some of my friends and I headed down to Williamsburg, Brooklyn for some good old fashioned thrifting. When you get the chance to leave the bubble, you should definitely put Brooklyn on your list of places to go. Before I get into the question “to thrift or not to thrift?” I’ll run through the spots we went to: 1.  Beacon’s Closet 88 N 11th Street READ MORE

Around the World in 14 Movies

By Elena Nicolaou
February 17, 2014 - 2:03am

Here's a compilation of some of my favorite foreign films organized by their country of origin. Don't be scared away by the subtitles. Some of the best movies ever made were made in a non English-speaking place, and you'll get used to reading the subtitles if you haven't already. All of these movies are wonderful! So, get some popcorn and enjoy. Maybe you can even brush up on your language skills in the process. France READ MORE

How I Decided Greek Life Wasn't For Me

By anonymous
February 9, 2014 - 10:02pm

An even distribution of mascara, lip gloss, and eyeliner align my face. The curls I spent hours tussling and teasing shield my overly whitened smile. I’ve armed myself in new preppy, pastel garb and dozens of Alex and Ani bangles. I’m preparing for a battle and the cause I’m fighting for is to be accepted. I feel ready. I mean, I definitely look the part, yet I’m still very uncomfortable. Perhaps this just isn’t for me. This was how I felt during my weekend of sorority recruitment. READ MORE

Personality Quizzes Galore

By Elena Nicolaou
February 3, 2014 - 7:00pm

We've all been swept up in the Buzzfeed personality quiz wave, or at least I know I have. Now, I know what city I should actually live in (Barcelona), what career I should actually have (writer), and what dog I am (Great Dane). I think personality quizzes are tons of fun, and definitely a good way to learn about yourself while avoiding homework. Over the years I've come up with a list of good tests to test your personality. Let us know what you think! 1) Visual DNA: https://whoami.visualdna.com/?c=us#quiz READ MORE

6 Indie Songs to Check Out

By Lana Wang
February 1, 2014 - 11:51pm

Dreaming: Smallpools A newcomer to the music world, Smallpools has already become extremely successful because of their upbeat and catchy songs. "Dreaming" comes from their 2013 EP "Have a Great Summer" and is a song that will sure to get you on your feet, singing and dancing along.  The group is currently on tour, you can catch them at Terminal 5 with Grouplove and MS MR in March.   Nova Scotia: Magic Man READ MORE

Why I Think the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show Should Be Enjoyed

By Rebecca Bard
December 11, 2013 - 10:27pm

Most little girls, just like I was, would love to grow up to be beautiful models: five foot ten, tan, gorgeous flowing hair, and most of all, skinny. The truth is that not every little girl can achieve this. The genetics things are out of our hands. Sure, there’s plastic surgery, but that’s not for everyone and it is definitely not always successful. But just because we can’t be them doesn’t mean we shouldn’t enjoy watching them. READ MORE