Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Columbia Blog

Her Campus Takes Greece: Spring Break 2014!

By Elena Nicolaou
March 26, 2014 - 2:01pm

Writing this in New York, part of me doesn’t believe my spring break in Thessaloniki was real. My memories are hazy, taking place in a world far different from the endless rush of New York. And yet, I have photographic proof of my absolutely life-changing week in Thessaloniki, Greece. My iPhoto doesn’t lie. There I am, hugging my new friends and gazing out into a new city. It was a spring break of exploration and adventure, good food and amazing documentaries. It was a spring break of long coffee breaks, strolls throughout a beautiful and interesting history, and making lifelong friends, and it definitely was real. READ MORE

Surprise in the Mail...Spring Break Survival Kit from HC Headquarters!

By Elena Nicolaou
March 11, 2014 - 10:10am

Well, well, well...I thought I was getting a book from the Lerner package center, but I was surprised by something way better. Free stuff from Her Campus Headquarters and sponsors! More of my favorite energy drink, Neuro Sonic, hair treatments, and a Her Campus bright pink cup, because what more could a girl want? Check out these goodiness. I defnitely recommend the Tresemme smoothing treatment. My hair gets so frizzy, and this stuff really works. Thanks HC!  READ MORE

Best Places to Study Off Campus

By Bailey Springer
March 10, 2014 - 11:33pm

Midterms are the worst. After the past few weeks, I don’t think that I am physically capable of spending five more minutes on the fourth floor of Butler. I have a strong suspicion that the multitudes of other people stuck in the on-campus libraries for hours feel about the same way. Luckily, we live in New York City, which means you can discover plenty of nice study spots off-campus with just a little searching! Here are my favorite study spots on the Upper West Side, because, although doing work inevitably sucks, it’s a little less terrible in a beautiful building or trendy coffee shop. 1.     Aroma Espresso Bar (72nd and Broadway) READ MORE

Anyone? Anyone? Ferris? Ferris?

By Charlene François
March 10, 2014 - 3:46pm

Remember NSOP? We experienced things we’ll never get to experience again. We introduced ourselves to everyone and were so excited we didn’t even care how many times we answered the questions, “Where are you from?” and “What’s your major?”. We planned different ways to answer these repetitive questions out of respect for our mutual overexcitement: “Oh okay, my cousin’s friend’s aunt’s best friend’s boyfriend is from that town too! I’ve heard of it!” or “Awesome! That major sounds so cool” even though you really don’t think it does. Nonetheless, there was an undeniable hunger to being a new college kid;  we were hungry for the new experience and the thrill of it all. And really, we were hungry. We had so many activities that we were literally chomping at the...

12 Awesome Books by Women Writers

By Elena Nicolaou
March 7, 2014 - 4:32pm

I recently compiled a list of books to read over spring break. As I was writing, I realized how few women writers on the list. So, I decided to retrace my steps and give my lovely collegiettes a list of my favorite books by women. Of course female writers are just as good as male writers, but it's a fact that most of the literary canon is made up of men. Go Virginia Woolf and Jane Austen, am I right?  We can combat this by not only reading women, but by writing ourselves, too!  READ MORE

8 Electronic Tracks to Add to Your Playlist

By Lana Wang
March 3, 2014 - 9:17pm

I dedicate this article to my mom who refers to electronic music as "broken robot music". Disclaimer: this playlist is in no way representative of the "main genres" of electronic music, these are just some of my favs which happen to fall under the umbrella term. Anyways… I hope you enjoy!   Obscure: "Streamers" by Wave Racer  
READ MORE

To Thrift Or Not To Thrift? That is the Question.

By Charlene François
February 24, 2014 - 11:00am

This past weekend, some of my friends and I headed down to Williamsburg, Brooklyn for some good old fashioned thrifting. When you get the chance to leave the bubble, you should definitely put Brooklyn on your list of places to go. Before I get into the question “to thrift or not to thrift?” I’ll run through the spots we went to: 1.  Beacon’s Closet 88 N 11th Street READ MORE

Around the World in 14 Movies

By Elena Nicolaou
February 17, 2014 - 2:03am

Here's a compilation of some of my favorite foreign films organized by their country of origin. Don't be scared away by the subtitles. Some of the best movies ever made were made in a non English-speaking place, and you'll get used to reading the subtitles if you haven't already. All of these movies are wonderful! So, get some popcorn and enjoy. Maybe you can even brush up on your language skills in the process. France READ MORE

How I Decided Greek Life Wasn't For Me

By anonymous
February 9, 2014 - 10:02pm

An even distribution of mascara, lip gloss, and eyeliner align my face. The curls I spent hours tussling and teasing shield my overly whitened smile. I’ve armed myself in new preppy, pastel garb and dozens of Alex and Ani bangles. I’m preparing for a battle and the cause I’m fighting for is to be accepted. I feel ready. I mean, I definitely look the part, yet I’m still very uncomfortable. Perhaps this just isn’t for me. This was how I felt during my weekend of sorority recruitment. READ MORE

Personality Quizzes Galore

By Elena Nicolaou
February 3, 2014 - 7:00pm

We've all been swept up in the Buzzfeed personality quiz wave, or at least I know I have. Now, I know what city I should actually live in (Barcelona), what career I should actually have (writer), and what dog I am (Great Dane). I think personality quizzes are tons of fun, and definitely a good way to learn about yourself while avoiding homework. Over the years I've come up with a list of good tests to test your personality. Let us know what you think! 1) Visual DNA: https://whoami.visualdna.com/?c=us#quiz READ MORE