Aiyana White

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Aiyana White

Columbia College Freshman

An interview with a member of Columbia’s Nonsequitur A Cappella group

Sleep, study, social life: pick two.

“Umm… All three? While school is extremely important to me, I don’t believe in overstressing myself.  I feel like I have been able to strike a balance where I can work hard but still make time for sleep and friends.”

Favorite stage moment?

“When I was a junior in high school, my choir went on a Western European tour; we performed in Austria, Bulgaria, and Hungary.  My favorite performance was at Bulgaria Hall.  The event was televised on national Bulgarian TV, and performing there with my choir felt magical.”

Embarrassing stage moment?

“In the fall of my senior year, I was performing at our school’s coffeehouse.  I had been planning on playing the guitar and singing ‘Titanium’.  But, the girl who performed right before me just happened to sing it.  I had to improvise and play “Here Comes the Sun”, a song I knew, but was not very familiar with.  I got super nervous and messed up the lyrics a million times.”

(Knowing Aiyana, it couldn’t have been that bad… I’m sure everyone was still blown away by her talent…)

Intended area of study?

“I’m keeping my options open, but leaning towards English or Creative Writing!”

Favorite trait in a guy?

“To me, it’s really important that a guy isn’t afraid to disagree with what I say or think, and stand up for his own opinions.”

Sophomore Film Studies and Business Management Columbia College Hometown: Washington D.C.