Life > High School

Things/Advice I Wish I Had Known Before Starting Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

Spring in Chicago! Time for not knowing if you should be wearing a jacket or bring an umbrella everywhere. The weather is messy. But, besides the point, we’re back ladies. The second semester is upon us, and I’ve decided to reflect on my first semester. I’ve compiled a list of a few things that I wish I had known before starting/at the start of Freshman year.

GIF Courtesy of Giphy

1.Find your ‘Breakfast at Tiffany’s’ spot.

Like most of us, I tend to get very stressed and at times anxious due to a heavy course load followed by a mountain of assignments. Don’t get me wrong, I love being a busy girl boss, but at times, it can be quite overwhelming. So, find a place where you feel comfy and can admire things you love. For me, that’s either a store on The Magnificent Mile or one of my favorite vintage shops in Wicker Park. Being somewhere that motivates and lets me admire things I love is somewhat therapeutic. GIF Courtesy of Giphy

2. You won’t be studying in your dorm.

It took me a few weeks, but when I first started off the semester, I found myself trying to study around my dorm.

Nope, not happening.

Being in proximity to my oh-so-comfy bed, fueled my urge to binge some Netflix, and distracted me from the tasks I needed to get done. Instead, venture out into the city, and find a cozy corner in a coffee shop. There are so many great study spots around campus. The library is also a great option if you’re not one for a café scene.

3. Pack only what you think you will need.

Get the rest of your stuff when you move in. Coming from Ohio, I am only a few hours from my parent’s house. So, when packing to move into my dorm, I naturally thought it would be a ‘great’ idea to take my whole wardrobe and anything I thought I would need, even if I have never used it at home before.

Bad Idea.

GIF Courtesy of Giphy

Bring only a season of clothes. Thanksgiving break is a perfect time to transfer your summer clothes back home and bring your warm clothes to prep for the chilly fall days ahead.

As far as décor and toiletries? Get them when you move in! Don’t try and hassle with trying to shove all your belongings in a car only to lose them in the moving process. I promise those cute string lights are still going to be available at a different Target. Take your time and write a list of what you not want, but need to bring to college with you. Then, go through and check off items you know you will use every day and erase items you barely use. Less is more, especially in a small place such as a dorm. (Indirectly calling myself out for thinking I’d need to pack light bulbs ???)

4. Rent your textbooks!

Like most new students, I was overwhelmed when buying textbooks. I saw the outrageous prices and bought them anyways. My mistake? I didn’t take advantage of Columbia’s rental process. Talk with your professor. What books will you for sure be using again in another course? What books are only going to be used for a semester? Ones that you will most likely not need again, rent! Save some money.

GIF Courtesy of Giphy

5. It’s OK not to be OK.

You are going to question your courses. You will question your major, or even change it within the first couple of months. Adjusting to life in a big city is hard, let alone trying to find your way through college. Being out in the ‘real world’  led me to change my major to something more ‘me’. Change is normal. Also, visit your advisor! Your advisor will soon be your (kind of) best friend.

Don’t let being homesick get the best of you. Go to that party or study group. Explore this crazy wonderful city in your free time. Surround yourself with people who bring out the best in you. You will be ok.

Sara Soliani

Columbia Chicago '21

Sara Soliani
Briana Kennedy

Columbia Chicago '19

I am a Columbia College Chicago student majoring in Advertising and double minoring in Marketing and Social Media & Digital Strategy. I am currently a strategy intern for Fusion92. In my free time, I enjoy reading, running, watching Netflix, exploring Chicago, and finding the cutest coffee shops.