jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Join Columbia College Chicago Students in Saying #ENOUGH

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

In the wake of the Stoneman Douglas High School shooting you could be feeling frustrated at the legislation surrounding gun control, and just like I am, you could be feeling incredibly inspired by all the brave teenage activists that came out as a result of the Parkland, Florida school shooting.

So, how do YOU, a Columbia College Chicago student, dare make a difference? How do you make sure your voice is heard?

You can start by attending Columbia’s #ENOUGH National School Walkout.

Photo Courtesy of The Action Network

Columbia College Chicago, in partnership with SGA, will be participating in the national school walkout in remembrance of the 17 young lives lost at Stoneman Douglas, as well in support of the survivors and gun reform.

This will be happening on March 14th, starting at 10 a.m. (across all time zones) for 17 minutes followed by a moment of silence in order to further honor the fallen. North Campus will be meeting at 618 S. Michigan Avenue while South Campus will be meeting at 1006 S. Michigan Avenue. Students, teachers, parents, administrators, and allies are all welcome to join in the fight for the right of students and staff to be able to learn and instruct in a safe environment, with peace of mind that this will happen NEVER AGAIN, for we have had ENOUGH. To sign up for this event, click here.

Women’s March Youth EMPOWER is leading this call to action, with member and student, Sara Jaffe, leading the Columbia College Chicago specific march. Sara Jaffe is a Fine Arts transfer and commuter Columbia student, with high hopes of graduating in the fall of 2019.

When asked about the inspiration behind her forming the Columbia Walkout she said, “I was really inspired by the Parkland students, especially Emma Gonzalez, she hit my heart strings” she continued on saying, “I’ve always been involved with activism and gun control has always been at the top of my list of causes I support”.

Pressing for more on her history of activism, what she had to say was truly inspiring. “I practically came out the womb marching alongside my mother. My mom marched for me and the rights of others and that’s what I have done in my early childhood and what I continue to do”.

Sara also had the pleasure of being a part of the 2017 Women’s March in Washington D.C. (her hometown) which was famously held the day after Donald Trump was elected President. She was also present at the February 18th march led by Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America in response to the school shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School. Sara recounts her having the opportunity to get to the front of the pack and being able to lead chants with the fellow marchers and states, “I had never felt more empowered before”.

Lately, everyone has been expressing their views on gun control, rightfully so, and Sara is no exception. She states, “I believe in everyone’s right to the 2nd Amendment, but I also believe that it was written a long time ago”. Sara further explains that she doesn’t feel semi-automatic weapons should be available for purchase by students or “anyone for that matter”.

We hope you join the movement and join Columbia College Chicago in saying #ENOUGH!

For questions about this event please contact: sarajaffe@gmail.com

*This event could not be possible without Malik Woolfork, President of Columbia’s Student Government Association, and the rest of the SGA team.

Briana Kennedy

Columbia Chicago '19

I am a Columbia College Chicago student majoring in Advertising and double minoring in Marketing and Social Media & Digital Strategy. I am currently a strategy intern for Fusion92. In my free time, I enjoy reading, running, watching Netflix, exploring Chicago, and finding the cutest coffee shops.