Sexual Assault Awareness Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Guest writer Morgan Apostle, BC ’18, sat down and told HC Columbia Barnard why she loves working with Columbia’s Sexual Violence Response and why you should check out the Gossip Girl event tonight at 7pm!

Even though I am a senior, this school year is the first year that I have worked as a Peer Educator with Sexual Violence Response. Going into our mandatory training, I felt that as a Barnard student and member of Take Back the Night, I already knew a lot about anti-violence work. However, working with SVR has really taught me that there is always more to learn – there are so many resources on this campus that I had no idea existed until I started working with SVR. I love SVR because it has given me a concrete way to start these discussions within the Columbia community, and help people know their options. Being surrounded by such passionate people has inspired me to eventually go into social work.

This month, Columbia University’s Sexual Violence Response office is holding many events for Sexual Assault Awareness Month, which takes place in April of every year. Throughout April, SVR will be tabling in Lerner, talking about consent and relationships with people who stop by, as well as explaining ways to get involved with the organization.

Additionally, the 3rd group discussion in a 3-part film series about sexual and relationship violence in the media called “Clips for Collective Change” is being held this Tuesday, April 17th from 7-8 pm in the North Tower Seminar Room in the Northwest Corner Building (NoCo). This week’s discussion will be all about Gossip Girl! The past two discussions were on Scandal and 13 Reasons Why. SVR will screen clips from the show, and attendees will be offered popcorn, soda, and some free SVR swag.

Other upcoming events include the Justice on the Reservation, a panel regarding systemic barriers for Native Americans seeking legal recourse for sexual violence (Thursday, April 19th, 4-6 pm, Room 114 Columbia School of Nursing), and the Looking Back, Moving Forward panel discussion about growth in the field of anti-violence work over the past 40 years (Monday, April 23rd, 12-2 pm in the World Room on the 3rd floor of Pulitzer Hall.)

Come visit us at our offices in Lerner 700 or Hewitt 105! Our counselors are always happy to talk or provide other resources. Even if you do not identify as a survivor yourself, you are welcome to come by and talk about whatever is on your mind regarding sexual or relationship violence.

Sydney Hotz

Columbia Barnard

Sydney is in love with New York City, dogspotting, and chorizo tacos. She's an aspiring novelist, a Barnard feminist, and might deny she was born in New Jersey.