Here’s What You Need to Know About This Year’s Bacchanal Performers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

On Tuesday night, Bacchanal officially announced the lineup for Bacchanal 2018: Pop, Lock and BACCH It! Ty Dolla $ign will headline, with openers Kamaiyah, St. Beauty, and Soul For Youth (a student group and winner of the Battle of the Bands). Unfamiliar with all of those names? Want to know more before you decide whether or not to attempt getting a ticket? I’ve got you covered – here’s what you need to know about all of this year’s performers.

Ty Dolla $ign

Who’s that? Rapper, singer, and songwriter from Los Angeles.

What’s he known for? Collaborations, mostly: His 2013 hit “Paranoid” featured B.o.B; his 2014 single “Or Nah” featured The Weeknd, Wiz Khalifa, and DJ Mustard; his most recent track “Psycho” featured Post Malone. He’s also been featured on Fifth Harmony’s “Work From Home,” if you’re more into Top 40, and has writing credits on “FourFiveSeconds” by Rihanna, Kanye West, and Paul McCartney. I’m not sure how much of these feature-heavy songs he’ll be working into his set if he’s headlining solo, but who knows? Anything can happen.

Where can I find him? His website, Twitter and Instagram – both his own and sometimes his girlfriend Lauren Jauregui‘s (from Fifth Harmony).

Kamaiyah

Who’s that? Rapper and singer from Oakland.

What’s she known for? She has one album, A Good Night in the Ghetto, and she dropped its lead single “How Does It Feel” in 2015. She also featured on YG’s “Why You Always Hatin?” with Drake in 2016. Her career’s definitely newer than Ty Dolla $ign’s, but it’s always cool to see a female rapper. I have a feeling the crowd will love her.

Where can I find her? SoundCloud, Twitter and Instagram.

St. Beauty

Who’s that? They’re a two-piece made up of Alexe Belle and Isis Valentino, who have described their genre as “Confetti” (think R&B) from Atlanta.

What are they known for? Their first big song was “Going Nowhere” back in 2015. Since then, they’ve put out singles like “Caught,” which was featured on Issa Rae’s HBO Show Insecure. They’re also signed to Janelle Monáe’s record company, which means they’ve got big things ahead.

Where can I find them? Their website, Twitter and Instagram.

Soul For Youth

Who’s that? They’re an R&B/hip-hop band made up of nine Columbia students that won Bacchanal’s Battle of the Bands back in February.

What are they known for? According to Spectator’s review, “At some moments, its music would feature the interplay of rap and singing, while at others, the guitar would shine through with delicate riffs, only for the horn section to then come blaring back to the forefront. In short, Soul for Youth kept its sound constantly fluid, and the audience clearly responded.” Sounds pretty cool.

Where can I find them? On campus!

Overall, it looks like the different mix of hip-hop and R&B is going to make for a great concert. Now that you’ve been primed on what to expect, I wish you luck in trying to get a ticket!

Erica Kam is the Life Editor at Her Campus. She oversees the life, career, and news verticals on the site, including academics, experience, high school, money, work, and Her20s coverage. Over her six years at Her Campus, Erica has served in various editorial roles on the national team, including as the previous Culture Editor and as an editorial intern. She has also interned at Bustle Digital Group, where she covered entertainment news for Bustle and Elite Daily. She graduated in 2021 with a bachelor’s degree in English and creative writing from Barnard College, where she was the senior editor of Columbia and Barnard’s Her Campus chapter and a deputy copy editor for The Columbia Spectator. When she's not writing or editing, you can find her dissecting K-pop music videos for easter eggs and rereading Jane Austen novels. She also loves exploring her home, the best city in the world — and if you think that's not NYC, she's willing to fight you on it.