Campus Celebrity: Diamond Brown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

Name: Diamond Brown

Major: Journalism

Concentration: Magazine

Year: Junior/Senior

Hometown: Washington D.C.

(photo/Brittany Brown)

If you climb the first flight of stairs in the 33 E. Congress Building and take the door to the left- you may meet this week’s Campus Celebrity at the front desk in the journalism department.  

Diamond Brown is pursuing a journalism degree with a concentration in magazine. She hopes to work for an online publication, such as The Huffington Post, writing opinion pieces or focusing on entertainment. Originally from Washington D.C., Brown is now a Junior/Senior, and lives in Chicago. Along with working in the journalism department as a receptionist, she recently concluded an internship with Cards Against Humanity.  

As of September 2015, Brown started “Campus Curls”, a blog about natural hair. After getting her own hair cut short, she was inspired to write about her experiences and tips for maintaining natural hair. With class and internships maintaining a blog is difficult, but Brown took up Columbia’s blogging class to keep herself on track. She wanted to create a blog young women with natural hair could relate to:  

“When I would read blogs about natural hair, they wouldn’t cater to me. It would be like, that single older woman who has the time to travel the world, go find a man/woman or go make some kids. I don’t have time for that, and I’m on a budget.”

You can read more from Diamond Brown at https://campuscurls.wordpress.com
Brittany A Brown

Columbia Chicago

Brittany is a senior photojournalism student at Columbia College Chicago. She originates from Ithaca, NY. Along with photography she has non-formal training in cosmetics/skincare and has worked as a beauty advisor for the last three years. She is passionate about women's issues and rights and hopes to work along non-profit organizations using photography and video to tell stories and convay ideas. Currently, she's a part of the Columbia Photography Department's sponcered non-profit, Cameras for Kids, that brings the creative power of photography to the youth of the Pine Ridge Native American Reservation. Brittany's a vegetarian of 10 years and is powered by hummus. In her spare time, she spends time reading articles on the internet, compusively cleaning, watching Netflix, and enjoying the company of her friends. 
Columbia College Chicago