Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Colum Blog

Afros in Attendance at the Oscars

By Songine' Clarke
February 29, 2012 - 1:15pm

READ MORE

Carpe Diem?

By Songine' Clarke
February 23, 2012 - 5:18pm

“Carpe diem” is Latin for “seize the day." This is one of my favorite phrases, but sometimes I forget to actually put it to use. With school getting to that point where you are ready to be out, you sometimes forget to enjoy your time in college. They are your “best years”. With all the deadlines we have to meet, extracurricular activities we want to be a part of, and the jobs we have to work, we sometimes forget what "fun" is exactly.  So, I encourage each and every one of you to seize a day this week and have a great day! Whether you are relaxing and reading a book, or going out downtown to check out a new restaurant or a new museum exhibit, just make sure you are totally enjoying yourself.  READ MORE

This is NOT the Worst Black History Month Ever

By Songine' Clarke
February 14, 2012 - 10:51am

I know you’re probably looking at my title like I am crazy, but I have a point to make!  Yes, we may have lost some greats like: Whitney Houston, Don Cornelius, and Etta James all in the span of a few weeks, and I am still so sad about it; but I think this gives us more of a reason to celebrate the people we still have making history.  READ MORE

Meet Her Campus's Newest Parnter: CONTIKI

By Mariah Craddick
February 8, 2012 - 10:59pm

Planning your first big trip can prove to be a bit…scary. We know. There's a million things to think about. Where will you stay for the best price? Which airline has the best deal? What sights should you see? How can you be sure to be safe? And what if you're traveling alone? Well, have no fear--Contiki is now here! Contiki is a travel company exclusively for young people, ages 18-35, that helps you plan out every little detail of your vacation so that you can actually enjoy it.  READ MORE

The 2012 Super Bowl

By Songine' Clarke
February 6, 2012 - 7:09pm

As I am sitting here watching the Super Bowl, I’m thinking about the other enthused fans watching the game and cheering extra loud for their favorite team. I am hoping that the New York Giants will win, but I’m not the type of girl to yell like crazy, have the jersey or get personally offended if another person likes the Patriots. Does this make me weird?  READ MORE

My Latest Beauty Obsession: Nail Art

By Songine' Clarke
January 31, 2012 - 1:21pm

I had never heard of "nail art" before until I moved to Chicago. When I saw it with my own eyes, I could tell this wasn’t the "typical" way of getting your nails done. "Nail art" is basically artwork on your nails. The nail technician is the artist and your nails are the canvas; if you let the nail technician have their way, you can come out with a masterpiece on your nails. I was at an event at Topshop and the nail artist AstroWifey was there doing nails for free. I got leopard print nails and I watched how the nail artist painted every little detail on my nails. It was truly amazing and I couldn’t stop staring at my nails. READ MORE

Stressed Out Already?

By Songine' Clarke
January 24, 2012 - 12:05pm

Stressed out already? Don’t worry, so am I! How is it that the first week of school already got so busy? Well, I am trying to figure out how to relieve that first week stress. Here are some things you can do to help relieve the stress, so you and I won’t go crazy before Spring Break. 
  Exercise READ MORE

New Year, New Semester

By Songine' Clarke
January 17, 2012 - 6:30pm

Happy New Year! I know everybody wants this to be the best year ever for them, but does that include the best semester? If you are in school, you know a new year also includes a new semester. For me, this past semester was alright, but with it being my senior year, I want to end with a bang.    I’ve been thinking about some of the things I need to do to make this semester the best, and the first thing that came to my mind was priorities.    READ MORE

Birth Control...for Men?

By Mariah Craddick
December 8, 2011 - 10:55am

Yes. You read that correctly. The Center for Research in Reproduction and Contraception is apparently in development of an oral contraceptive for men. Right now, the only other options men have are condoms--which are not always 100% safe--and a vasectomy--which is permanent.
  So maybe it's about time that men had another option. After all, women have condoms and pills and patches and rings, oh my!  READ MORE

What's Going On with Women and Reality T.V. ?

By Mariah Craddick
December 1, 2011 - 12:59pm

The other night, I was flipping through the channels absent-mindedly when I came upon this scene of a woman pummeling another woman's face as others tried to pry her off. I became intrigued and slowly set the remote down as I watched this picture of chaos erupt on my screen. What had this poor thing done to deserve such a beating? And why was this other lady so angry? READ MORE