Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Colum Blog

Working it Outside

By Katy Krantz
April 4, 2012 - 6:00am

Clothes are quickly shedding as the temperatures continue to steadily rise and skin is becoming a part of everyone’s daily wardrobe. Because of this, and because of the incredible weather we’ve been graced with this early in the year, there is no excuse not to get out and about and get your body moving a bit.  The best part about the unusually warm weather that we’re experiencing right now is seeing tons of people getting outside and exercising. Whether it’s a jog through Grant Park, a bike ride on the lakefront, or even yoga on the beach, there are so many different options when it comes to shaking off that “icky” wintery slump we’ve all been stuck in for the past few months.   READ MORE

HC Opinion: Students Should Take A Stand

By Sydney Holman
April 3, 2012 - 12:00pm

Recently, the news headlined that 50 students from Detroit’s all-boys Fredrick Douglas Academy were suspended for protesting for a better education. Detroit is currently in the center of a horrid financial crisis and the educational system is suffering as well. This institution in particular has been labeled as having the worst performance in an urban area in the nationREAD MORE

Keeping Your Faith

By Songine' Clarke
March 23, 2012 - 6:00am

I am a Christian. That is something I don’t hear too often on Columbia’s campus. So, you can imagine that when a conversation about religion comes up anywhere on campus--nothing good comes from it. I know for me, when I was an underclassmen it was pretty intimidating because I felt like I was the only Christian around and didn’t know what to say.  There ended up being some things that definitely helped me keep my faith during my time here at Columbia and made me more comfortable with my faith. READ MORE

HC Music Review: Cudi's "WZRD" (Universal Republic, 2012)

By Emily Ornberg
March 22, 2012 - 6:00am

On the alternative rapper Kid Cudi’s record “Love Hard” from his newest collaboration, "WZRD", he sings: “Follow your heart.” Along with long-time friend and producer Dot da Genius, Cudi has seemed to have done just that—proving record executives wrong by taking a musical risk and creating a brilliant and noteworthy rap-rock combination. READ MORE

Spring Up Your Wardrobe: 4 Trends to Try Out

By Katy Krantz
March 21, 2012 - 6:00am

As the ice melts and the flowers slowly begin to bloom, one of the most exciting seasons regarding fashion is bursting forth. It’s officially springtime and the stores are ready to supply us with our spring wardrobes. So, what are the most popular trends that you can sport for a fabulous spring season? Neons, wild prints, florals, colored jeans, tribal patterns, and lace are a few trends breezing through the fashion industry right now.  READ MORE

GOP Say Wha?: The Ever-Waging War Against Single Moms

By Sydney Holman
March 20, 2012 - 6:00am

In the midst of this... comical GOP election, it's been revealed that candidate Rick Santorum picked the nation's single mothers as a target of his flighty accusations.  READ MORE

You're Not In This Alone

By Songine' Clarke
March 16, 2012 - 6:00am

College can be rough. We all know that. With homework, projects, extracurricular activities, and sometimes part-time jobs-- it can all be a little too much. For some people it can be rough as well because they are far away from home or they feel like they have no one to talk to-- but you do. Columbia has some great resources you could use if you ever feel like it is all becoming overwhelming.
Columbia College Counseling Services
READ MORE

We're Going to Make You Famous?: Why Kony is Old News

By Sydney Holman
March 13, 2012 - 7:00am

Joseph Kony has become an internet celebrity in a week's span. Not the kind we worship, but the one whose atrocious actions fill our souls with terror. Joseph Kony and his group, the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA), has been terrorizing children and families in Uganda, South Sudan and the Congo for nearly three decades.  READ MORE

The Last Semester of College

By Songine' Clarke
March 9, 2012 - 6:00am

There are currently two words that send a rush of emotions through me. Just the thought of those two words make me scared, excited, nervous, anxious, and probably a few more things that I can’t think of at the moment. Those two words are two months. In two months, I will be graduating from college. A day I never thought would come. As I prepare for what’s to come in these next two months, I thought I should share some of the things I’m going to do, because I know I am not the only one nearing graduation.  READ MORE

That Little Pill...and Other Alternatives

By Sydney Holman
March 6, 2012 - 6:00am

College is a haven for sexual innuendos, random hook-ups and unexpected relationships. Columbia College Chicago is very adamant about promoting safe sex, actively giving out condoms in campus buildings. However, as females we not only should protect ourselves from STD's but also unintended pregnancies.Two-thirds of unplanned pregnancies occur in college. Practicality and logic become lost in our passion and lust. Young women are narrow-minded and are often blind to the variety of contraceptive methods available. The pill tends to be complicated, especially for those with packed schedules.  Here are a few hassle-free approaches to prevent unplanned pregnancy: READ MORE