Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Colum Archives

How Not to Go Spring Broke

By Martinique Pates
March 19, 2012 - 6:00am

It's almost spring break, which means most college students are packing their bags, breaking out the swimwear and heading to the most exclusive beach parties. However, with the recession and the constant increases in tuition, many students are considering saving money by visiting family or taking on extra hours at work. On average, a traditional spring break trip can cost over $500, depending on distance and hotel cost. Luckily, there are more cost-friendly yet fun things you can do for spring break. READ MORE

Meet Fandy Tjen

By Mariah Craddick
March 18, 2012 - 12:51am

Freshman and vocal performance major Fandy Cendana Tjen, 18, remembers learning his first song when he was only 2 years old, a karaoke track that he sung in Mandarin. Originally from Indonesia, Fandy came to the U.S. about 7 years ago finding a home in the "city of brotherly love," Philadelphia. READ MORE

Come Snack-a-way with Her Campus CCC!

By Mariah Craddick
March 16, 2012 - 6:50pm

READ MORE

You're Not In This Alone

By Songine' Clarke
March 16, 2012 - 6:00am

College can be rough. We all know that. With homework, projects, extracurricular activities, and sometimes part-time jobs-- it can all be a little too much. For some people it can be rough as well because they are far away from home or they feel like they have no one to talk to-- but you do. Columbia has some great resources you could use if you ever feel like it is all becoming overwhelming.
Columbia College Counseling Services
READ MORE

Fernando Terrell II

By Mariah Craddick
March 15, 2012 - 6:16pm

Major: Fashion/Graphic Design READ MORE

Biggest Foot Dance Competition

By Mariah Craddick
March 15, 2012 - 10:07am

Columbia's "Biggest Foot Dance Competition" is back with performances by MCDA, BCB (Boom Crack! Boys), The Crew, Salsa Con Sabor and more.  This annual competition held by the Student Programming Board always brings out the best dancers and dance teams at Columbia to compete for a huge cash prize and a spot at the Carnival Choreographer's Ball. Doors will open at 6:30 and we advise getting there pretty early! Events like this always fill up to capacity early! You can go here for more information about the event. See you there! READ MORE

We're Going to Make You Famous?: Why Kony is Old News

By Sydney Holman
March 13, 2012 - 7:00am

Joseph Kony has become an internet celebrity in a week's span. Not the kind we worship, but the one whose atrocious actions fill our souls with terror. Joseph Kony and his group, the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA), has been terrorizing children and families in Uganda, South Sudan and the Congo for nearly three decades.  READ MORE

ShopColumbia

By Lindsey Turner
March 12, 2012 - 1:23pm

Student workers at ShopColumbia preparing for next week's "Nake Nula Waun" event on the 21st. The event will feature the Native American hip-hop act who will incorporate traditional Native American hoop dancers, blending hip hop, dance and personal stories.  Be sure to check them out and ShopColumbia on March 21st!  READ MORE

Registering for Classes: Dos and Don'ts

By Samantha Saiyavongsa
March 12, 2012 - 7:00am

READ MORE

Tunnel of Oppression

By Mariah Craddick
March 9, 2012 - 12:32pm

The Multicultural Affairs' diversity council, One Tribe, is bringing back the much-talked-about "Tunnel of Oppression." The event runs as a tour, giving students a chance to experience what it could be like if they were a different gender, race or sexual orientation.  The tour has been said to be so impactful and emotional that some came out in tears. With that being said, it serves as a great learning tool and allows one to truly take a walk in another's shoes.  READ MORE