Winter 101: How to be Prepared for Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

1. Dress appropriately – Every Colgate student (or girls, at least) should own a parka. They are extremely warm, and they look great too! A popular option is the North Face metropolis parka: http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/womens-triple-c-jacket_2.html?parent_category_rn=&cm_vc=Search

2. Avoid wiping out – Unfortunately, it happens to all of us at some point. But one way to prevent this from happening is to have the proper footwear. Snow boots are a must.  Bean boots by L. L. Bean are an excellent option. They are super comfortable and match with almost everything! http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/43281?feat=609-GN1&attrValue_0=Brown/Brown&productId=732934

3.
 Get into the school spirit – Go to lots of sports events like hockey and basketball. The games are always fun and you’ll be warm indoors.

4. Drink warm beverages – Get into the holiday spirit by trying Starbuck’s holiday drinks. Their peppermint mocha and hot cocoa are absolutely delicious!

5.  Drive safely – Black ice makes for very dangerous driving conditions. So be extra careful when driving during the winter to avoid accidents of any type.  Drive     slowly and cautiously. It might be a bit frustrating but you will be thankful you       did.

6.
 Take up a new hobby – Baking is great throughout the year. But it’s especially fun in the wintertime because you can bake season- appropriate goodies such as gingerbread men.   

7.  Try a few winter sports – Even if you have never skied or snowboarded before, try it this winter. It’s fun to ski or snowboard with friends and it’s great exercise.

8.
Act like a kid again – Build snowmen and play board games. These are excellent wintertime activities, and you can never be too old to build a snowman!

Alexandra Hite is a sophomore at Colgate University where she intends to major in Environmental Studies and minor in Spanish. At Colgate, she is involved with the Sailing Team and the Alpine Ski Team. Born and raised in Albany, New York, Alex enjoys running, baking, and traveling. Additionally, she enjoys surfing on Cape Cod during the summers. Her favorite city is Boston, where she hopes to attend law school upon graduating from Colgate University.