Taylor Craig ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Name: Taylor Craig

Hometown: Easton, MA

Class Year: 2015

Major: History

Minor: Education

What do you do on campus?  I am a member of the Women’s Ice Hockey Team, Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC), Leadership Academy, and the Sorella Society.

Tell us more about the activities you are involved in: One member from each athletic team is selected by their team/ coaches to be on SAAC.  SAAC is a group that works to solve any problems within the athletic community.  In addition, SAAC is responsible for all of the community service that the athletic teams are involved in. For example, our latest project is “Adopt a Classroom” where each athletic team has 2 classrooms at Sherburne Elementary School that they visit monthly. The Women’s Ice Hockey team has two elementary classrooms that we have developed a great relationship with.  The Leadership Academy is a group of athletes selected by coaches/athletic administration.  We meet every other week for a workshop that teaches us how to become better leaders in and out of our sports.   The Sorella Society is a philanthropic organization comprised of Colgate women who are devoted to spreading awareness about women’s issues.

What fundraisers have the women’s ice hockey team held? The women’s hockey team is very involved with Autism Speaks. Autism Speaks is a foundation which is the world’s largest autism advocacy organization.  They sponsor autism research and conduct awareness and outreach activities. We have an annual Autism Awareness Game where all of the benefits go to this foundation. This year, we also helped raise money for the Mandi Shwartz foundation, a foundation that supports young athletes with life threatening illnesses.

Taylor’s Favorites:

Favorite Food – fried shrimp

Favorite ice cream- moose tracks

Favorite Sport- hockey obviously!

Favorite City- Chicago

Favorite restaurant – Clubhouse 

Favorite drink – Shirley Temple 

Caroline Tocci is a Colgate '13 post-grad living in NYC. Besides working as an editorial assistant at Scholastic, she enjoys running, traveling, sailing, cooking, cheering for the Patriots, reading, and writing, of course. You can check out her blog Caroline's Cucina at http://www.carolinescucina.tumblr.com or follow her on Twitter, @carolinetocci.