Staying Happy in the Dark Hours of Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

The slow months of winter have the power to, unfortunately, put a damper on our mood, our motivation and our confidence. Those sunshine rays disappear along with that good good  (Vitamin D) we crave so much. However harsh this reality may be, we must be bold in our quest to get through this winter season with happiness, not dreariness. Let’s not allow the power of the winter gray to deplete the power of our winter spirits! 

Check out these simple suggestions on how to stay upbeat and aliveeeeee in these long months, so we can transition into spring time with positive and happy vibes, ready for the MUCH needed Vitamin D rays of life…

1. Stay active! Everyone understands the struggle of not wanting to get out of your cloud of comforters, especially when the temperature is sub 0. However, spending even 30 minutes at the gym a few times a week will boost those endorphins and leave you feeling great!

2. Even a little meditation 5-10 minutes a day will do wonders for your mental health. Calm that stress and anxiety from classes, professors, relationship troubles or anything leaving you feeling a little too tense. Letting it all cluster inside will leave you feeling mentally foggy. No one likes that fog.

3. Set some “me-time” every day. It’s perfectly okay to be a little selfish and do something for yourself each day. We all need this “me-break” for our own sanity.

4. Or even binge on a netflix episode (or 3)….Just stop asking us, “Are you still watching?”

5. Catch up with a pal for lunch or a coffee. We can all use a break from our textbooks for a stimulating conversation with the friends we’re close with.

6. Why not give that new recipe you’ve been dying to make a try? Dinner andddd dessert, perhaps?

7. Get out of Hamilton and take an adventure to the Syracuse mall for a shopping binge. A little retail therapy is harmless, right Mom??

8. But most importantly, laugh. As often as you can and with as many people as you can surround yourself with. There is no greater release than a genuine laugh from the soul. 

And just as the wise Michelle Tanner once said…