Spring Break Abroad Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Last week was IES Abroad’s spring break. Most of my peers went gallivanting around Europe, packing as many “must-see” cities into one week as they could. I did this during Thanksgiving break last semester (Berlin, Madrid, Sevilla, and Venice), so I opted for something completely different: Tel Aviv, Israel. Many students, to my astonishment, asked, “Where is that?” when I told them where I was headed. “Uh, Israel,” I responded. Three and a half hours by plane later (after a scary amount of questioning in the airport), I was in Israel. There was such an abundance of diversity in Tel Aviv – “freedom of expression” is clearly a concept that exists there, unlike what I have experienced in Rome. The restaurant options alone made me feel at home. During my week-long stay, the temperature was consistently in the 70s-80s, and I quickly pulled on my denim shorts. As I was getting dressed, I sought the reassurance of my friend that it was, in fact, an acceptable outfit choice for the Tel Aviv culture. “No one cares what you wear here,” she replied. I was so excited to be able to wear whatever I wanted, something I don’t feel that I can do in Rome.

As spring approaches in the Eternal City, temperatures are nearing the 60s. Today, I asked my Italian professor, “È strano se porto una vestita senza calze?” (is it weird if I wear a dress without tights?). She explained that this weather (it was the most beautiful day I have experienced in Rome to date) is cold for Italians, but that it is okay to wear this because it is obvious I am not an Italian. So, what started as a trip to visit an old friend in the Mediterranean became a reflection on the differences between Rome and Tel Aviv. I constantly ask myself here, where are the misfits, the Goths, the teenagers having rebellious phases? At a basic level, observing people’s clothing is one way I have considered the differences between Italian culture and American (or Israeli) culture. There are so many things I have loved about being in Rome (the orange light,
cappuccinos, fare una passeggiata, and the artistic beauty), but gosh I sure missed wearing shorts without the fear of unwelcome glances and
stares in the street.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Israel, despite my absence of any Jewish heritage. I felt safe, despite the ongoing conflict with Palestine, and listened to my friend tell stories of hearing air sirens and heading to bomb shelters. It was hard to accept that the country I was visiting was currently in conflict, as I walked around in the warm sunshine, admiring happy families and their dogs. All of the people I had the chance to meet and hang out with were friendly and so generous with their food (this came in handy when we made a day trip to the Dead Sea – thanks for the Doritos, friend!). I got to partake in a Passover Seder in a small town outside of Tel Aviv. Despite the fact that I was an obvious outsider (a blonde American, baptized Episcopalian), I felt welcomed. If you have the chance, go. Go to the beach, drink fresh juice, and eat the most amazing hummus of your life.
Caroline Tocci is a Colgate '13 post-grad living in NYC. Besides working as an editorial assistant at Scholastic, she enjoys running, traveling, sailing, cooking, cheering for the Patriots, reading, and writing, of course. You can check out her blog Caroline's Cucina at http://www.carolinescucina.tumblr.com or follow her on Twitter, @carolinetocci.