Sofia Rietti ’18: Bienvenidos a Barcelona

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Meet this week’s student profile on one of our very own: Sofia Rietti ‘18! Sofia took her studies out of snowy Hamilton, New York and relocated to Barcelona, Spain this semester for the trip of a lifetime.

HC: Where are you studying this semester and are you with anyone from Colgate?

SR: This semester I’m studying in Barcelona, Spain. There are a decent amount of Colgate students here, but I am living with my close friends: Kristen Soto ’18, Remi Rosmarin ’18 and Maura Larkin ’18. 

HC: How is your living situation?

SR: My living situation is great. I lucked out and was assigned a shared apartment. I live in a more residential neighborhood of Barcelona with two other Colgate students and a local Spanish student. There is a produce and grocery store right below our building, and the Sagrada Familia is only a few blocks away. 

HC: How are classes different in Barcelona than they are at Colgate?

SR: Because I am on a pre-approved program, I am just getting general credit here, not credit toward my major. I was able to take classes that really revolve around the Catalan and Spanish culture. It’s a great opportunity because I get to witness and experience a lot of the things we talk about in class outside of the classroom. I also have gotten to explore new subjects, like Art History, which I haven’t done so yet at Colgate. Also, a lot of my classes include field trips to local museums or areas, which is great because we get in for free!

HC: Have you traveled anywhere else thus far?

SR: I really feel that I need to take advantage of being in Europe, so I have traveled a lot on the weekends. I have been to other nearby countries, like France and Italy, but I’ve also made it up north to Copenhagen, which was really interesting noticing the differences between Mediterranean cultures and Scandinavian cultures. I plan on going to Prague, which I am so excited for because I am really curious to experience Eastern European culture. 

HC: What has been your favorite part about studying abroad so far?

SR: I think my favorite part about studying abroad has been the independence. While college is definitely a big step towards being independent, I feel that abroad is even more so because you are in the middle of a massive city, rather than Hamilton, NY, where everything revolves around Colgate. It is my first time living in a major city, so that has been a growing experience in itself. Additionally, traveling on your own or in small groups to countries where you don’t know a single word of the language is definitely an obstacle I’ve needed to learn to navigate.

HC: Do you have any advice for those who wish to study abroad in the upcoming semesters?

SR: I would highly recommend studying abroad, regardless of where it is, because it is inevitable you learn something new that you may not have the opportunity to learn while at Colgate. Whether it’s about yourself, another culture, or even different subject matter, it is an opportunity that should not be passed up.

If you want to follow more of Sofia’s adventures, check out her instagram: @sofia.en.barz.elona !