This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

So, what actually happened to the use of digital cameras to capture our finessstttt college moments? Sure, we still whip them out again for travels abroad, family vacations and special occasions. But really, they are no longer an every day (and, of course, not an every night) necessity. Welcome to the world of Iphones! Seriously though, taking pictures on your phone is way more convenient. And, the Iphone takes some pretty sweet pictures, right? Where else is it acceptable to take unlimited selfies? Ladies and gentlemen, we are now moving away from mirror pics and welcoming selfies! Now, I love my digital camera (I really do!), but taking pictures on an Iphone just makes sense and is better for our every day GLAMOUR shots (I mean, as glamorous as you can get living in -50 degree weather). Here are a few reasons why:

1. Instagram:

If you took everything out of Facebook and left the pictures, voila! Instagram allows us to take pictures of anything, and I mean ANYTHING – a sunset, food, a snowstorm – and call it art. Move out of the way Michelangelo. But really, Instagram gives us the chance to take pictures of our ordinary lives and make them look extraordinary. And similar to Facebook, there’s a liking system that shows how much of a hit your photo is. Whether you choose to use X-Pro II, Lo-Fi, or think your picture is unbelievable on its own (#nofilter), Instagram is a cool way to take pictures and share it with your friends immediately! No more waiting a week until you see that picture you took on your friend’s camera. Instagram is instant, and we love it.

1. Snapchats:

Well you can’t send some funny, weird, bizarre rendition of yourself instantly to someone else on a camera, now can you? Snapchat can be a fun way to tell someone else, “Hey I’m thinking of you….ow ow.” Or more commonly, just to entertain your friends, letting them in on how FUNNY you really are. Anyway, the point is, these quirky pictures are selfies to the max. And don’t worry if you look heinous in them because the viewer can only see them for a couple of seconds and then they’re gone for good. Well, unless the other person screen shots your image, so watch out. Anyway, Snapchats are fun, likeeee really fun, right? And there is no better feeling than seeing that little red box that lets you know someone sent you a Snapchat. Aw, yes people are thinking of you, and probably the other 20 people they sent that same picture to! 

1. Camera+:

Mobile Uploads. Muploads. Suploads. Wuploads. Exploads. Whatever you call them, there is nothing we love more than posting our pictures to Facebook because all of our friends are on Facebook! AND our friends, who technically aren’t our friends, but who we want to see our pictures anyway (yes, those people!). I mean, we’re all celebrities, right? Not exactly. But, mobile uploads are something you can’t get from a camera (hence the mobile part). And why do we love them now more than ever? Well, Camera+. So you take a picture on your Iphone and then you can change the scene: auto, clarity, flash, beach, night…the list is goes on and on! Then, you adjust, crop and head to EFFECTS. And these effects make the ones on Instagram look weak with over twenty options to choose. So now when you upload to Facebook, you have some flare to your pictures. Right, you’re artsy. Well at least your phone is!

From taking a panorama shot to creating a collage of your photos, the list is endless. There are many apps on the Iphone that give your pictures that boost. These apps are fun, innovative, and personalize your pictures in the way you want them to be viewed! You’re going to bring your phone out anyway, so you might as well put it to some good use! Don’t throw away your digital cameras, but try putting them aside to enjoy the awesome apps on your phone that will give your pictures that little extra something they need.