This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Ah, yes. You remember these well. Those mildly embarrassing orientation week exercises that were meant to bond your freshmen year seminar group. What would start out as a playful ice breaker game, would soon turn into a heartfelt and slightly bizarre, yet profoundly deep therapy session with people you met just three days ago.

College, man.

And after attending info session after info session (who knew a library could be so confusing) you culminate the week in a letter – to yourself. You reminisce of those elementary school letters you wrote in second or third grade to your middle school selves. Or perhaps freshman year of high school, when your sex ed teacher passed out a paper and pen intended for your senior year selves.

3rd Grade: “I really hope I have collected every colored ink pen by the time I hit fifth grade.”

6th Grade: “Hopefully, by the time I hit high school I’ll be making the varsity soccer team!”

9th Grade: “I can’t wait for senior year. I want to apply to colleges in California (or another far off and indefinable region).”

Well, it’s your freshman year. You’re probably about four solid hours away from dear old mom and dad – and you’re slightly clinging to the glory days of high school varsity soccer.

You’ve just decorated your two-by-four dorm room with an all-too-nostalgic photo collage of all your friends from home. String lights adorn the windows. New books. New pens. A loaf of mom’s banana bread sitting on your desk. Its growing staleness meant to remind you how recent their departure and how fresh your autonomy really is.

And while that freshman year letter provides comedic relief and few naïve words of wisdom – perhaps a senior reflection would be more useful to these college newbies.

First things first, the freshman fifteen is a very real thing. An unlimited meal plan and close proximity to the local pizzeria are no joke. Utilize the unlimited gym access to compliment your undoubted and unavoidable gorging.

Don’t be too cool for school. Seriously, get involved. This is not like high school – you’re not required. But, you’ll be thanking your résumé stars that you did partake in activities that you were genuinely interested in. Perhaps now, I can plant a shameless plug for Her Campus writers :)

Specifically for Colgate students, enjoy the nice days while you can. Soon you’ll be frozen solid in temperatures of the lowly negatives. So, enjoy the sunny szn and hit the reservoir, hammy hill for a sunset, boathouse activities, etc. When the snowy flakes hit and never seem to stop, you’ll be holding on to the warmth of these memories.

Don’t be a slug. Netflix and Chill is for Sundays and Tuesdays – go out. Meet people. Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone. If there is one thing we seniors have learned – four years is not nearly long enough. Don’t you for a second take for granted what will undoubtedly be the best years of your life…for the time being.

So, congrats on your acceptance. Get excited for your enrollment and have a lit four years.

The best of luck,

Your Senior Year Self

Morgan is a junior at Colgate University where she majors in Creative Writing and minors in Film & Media Studies.  On campus, Morgan is a New Member Educator for greek life's Kappa Kappa Gamma.  When she's not under stacks of English literature in the library, you can find her watching old reruns of Laguna Beach with her co-correspondent leader, Caroline Parsons.  An avid listener of country music, interior design fanatic, and diehard Bachelor spectator.  Check out the blogs and articles produced by Morgan, Caroline, and their diverse (just as weird) team of writers!