The Midterm Survival Guide You Can’t Afford to Miss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

It’s here, folks. The looming week that tests your comprehension of all the material that you have learned up until this point: the dreaded midterm week. If you’re like us, then this week is one of the most stressful weeks on campus. The Sunday before the week even starts—you have to wake up at the crack of dawn just to get a spot at the library! It is safe to say that most of this campus is feeling the exact same way: stressed out.

So, here is a guide of eight things you can do to help you survive and ~thrive~ during midterms week!

1. Get enough sleep! Your mind won’t be on its A-game if you don’t allow it to rest! Try your best to get those standard eight hours of sleep per night—and if this is not possible, give yourself a mental break in the middle of the day and take a short cat-nap so that you can rest for a little. Awake feeling rejuvenated and ready to go!

2. Make a to-do list! Writing things down will allow you to visualize the work that you need to get done and make you feel more organized and accomplished after physically checking off the tasks you have completed!

3. Put away your phone! Not having your phone out right in front of you can reduce the urge to procrastinate by scrolling through your favorite celebrity’s Instagram page, thus you are able to optimize the amount of time you do have to focus on studying!

4. Organize a study group! Talking concepts out with classmates and listening to other students explain how they comprehended the material can help you better understand and remember concepts!

5. Take a break and hit the gym! Exercising can help reduce stress and also will help your body and mind feel more awake! When you study your brain uses up a lot of nutrients, so getting up and moving around will allow your blood to flow more and therefore bring more nutrients to your brain!

6. Don’t be afraid to go speak and review with your professor! If you are having trouble with a concept, schedule a meeting with your professor during their office hours; after all they are here to help!

7. Treat yourself after a long day of studying! Go to the Colgate Inn and get a slice of cookie pie or jump over to Byrne Dairy and grab some ice cream! Rewarding yourself after a long day of studying will not only make you feel happier but can give you something to look forward to throughout the day and will help keep you going!

8. RELAX! Take a deep breath, if you are too stressed out your mind will not be able to think clearly! After all midterm week is not a life or death situation!

Here’s to us all getting A’s! Good luck!