Megan Gallagher ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

This week’s spotlight goes to one of our very own: Megan Gallagher ‘18! A junior from Irvington, New York majoring in English, Megan’s outstanding performance in the pool this past weekend at Loyola earned her Colgate’s Athlete of the week honors. Her individual performance helped the Colgate Women’s Swimming and Diving team battle Loyola in their first dual meet of the season. Gallagher earned three first place finishes in the 100 yard free, 200 yard free, and 500 yard free for a strong start to her junior year.

HC: How does it feel to earn Colgate’s Athlete of the week honors?

MG: “It feels amazing to receive Colgate’s Student-Athlete of the Week! I was really happy with how I swam at the meet against Loyola and receiving this honor made me feel even better!”

HC: What are your expectations for the upcoming season?

MG: “I’m just going into this season with a positive attitude and trust in my training. I’m trying not to put too much pressure on myself to swim fast and simply focus on feeling good in the water and cheering on my teammates!”

HC: Is there one team you and your teammates have a strong rival with?

MG: “BUCKNELL!!!”

HC: What’s the most challenging aspect of being a student athlete at Colgate?

MG: “I think the most challenging aspect of being a student-athlete is learning how to manage your time. It’s really hard to balance a full course-load while also having to do everything that is required for your sport, but I think that being put in this difficult situation will definitely help prepare you to manage everything in your life after college!”

HC: Fun fact?

MG: “I was a child actress and I’m in the movie August Rush!”