Meet The Founders: Emily Bliss ’14 & Alex Hite ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Name: Emily Bliss                                                               Name: Alex Hite
Hometown: Cambridge, MA                             Hometown: Albany, NY
Class Year: 2014                                                                Class Year: 2014
Major: Political Science                         Major: Environmental Geography

How did you get involved with Her Campus?
EB: “One of my good friends from home interned at Her Campus during her senior year of high school, so that’s when I was first exposed to Her Campus. Last June I heard about their push to launch new branches at more universities and thought this would be a good opportunity to involve myself in something new at Colgate.”
AH: “My best friend Emily asked if I would be interested in founding Her Campus Colgate with her, so I checked out the website and decided it was something I would like to work on.”

What is your favorite part about working on Her Campus?
EB: “I think my favorite aspect of Her Campus Colgate is having the opportunity to work on something creative with my friends at school. We have all really enjoyed writing for Her Campus and making new friends through writing, too!”
AH: “It has allowed me to be more involved on campus and up-to-date on campus on-goings.”

What is your plan for Her Campus in the upcoming years?
EB: “As Alex and I will both be going abroad next spring (Alex to Australia, myself to Sweden), we are looking to our friend and writer Caroline to help take over next year.”
AH: “I hope to develop it into a club on campus and ensure it flourishes. Once we graduate, we hope to pass it down to other Colgate students.”

How did you become friends?
EB: “We met the first week of our freshman year and have been friends ever since. We truly enjoy working together so Her Campus has been a great outlet for us to collaborate.”
AH: “I was at a party the first weekend at school and I didn’t know too many people. This blonde girl came up to me and introduced herself. After talking for a little while we exchanged numbers and agreed to hang out another time. We’ve been best friends since and we love spending time together.”

What is your favorite thing about Colgate?
EB: “I know it sounds cliche, but I honestly love all the people here. Everybody is outgoing and friendly, making the Colgate community the most happy, energetic community I have ever been a part of. I once read online that the students who attend Colgate are those students who can make the most of every situation or opportunity and I have found this to be true… every student is genuinly excited about being at Colgate and involved in their Colgate experience.”
AH: “I think the campus is beautiful and I love all the tradition the school has.”

Other than Her Campus, what do you do on campus?
EB: “I am a tour guide for the Office of Admissions, a member of the women’s rugby team, and a member of Gamma Phi Beta.”
AH: “I am on the sailing team and I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.”

Fast Facts-
Favorite Food?
EB: Hummus
AH: Eggplant Parm
Favorite Color?
EB: Green
AH: Pink
Favorite Movie?
EB: The Proposal … or any RomCom
AH: Stepbrothers or Remember the Titans
Favorite Sport?
EB: Ice Hockey
AH: Skiing
Favorite Actor/Actress?
EB: Matt Damon or Ryan Reynolds
AH: Will Ferrell 
Favorite Athlete?
EB: Any athlete who plays for a Boston team
AH: [smirks]… Tom Wallisch
Favorite Musician?
EB: Zac Brown Band or Rascal Flatts
AH: Biggie Smalls
Favorite Restaurant in Hamilton?
EB: The Barge Canal
AH: Colgate Inn
Favorite Store?
EB: Mint Julep in Cambridge
AH: J.Crew
Favorite Place?
EB: Boston
AH: Brewster, Cape Cod

Emily Bliss is a sophomore at Colgate University, where her academic interests include Political Science, Economics, and Chinese. She hopes to attend business school upon her graduation. In addition to being a tour guide and admissions office volunteer, she competes with the Alpine Ski Racing Team and the Rugby Club. Emily calls Cambridge, Massachusetts home, as it is where she was born and raised, though she loves living in Hamilton, New York when school is in session. Her favorite activities include spending time in and around Boston, watching Gossip Girl, traveling, and cooking!