Making the Most of Your Matzo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

April 22nd marked the first day of Passover. For those who celebrate, giving up bread and other grain products for this coming week might seem like a tough feat. A week without slices?! However, making the swap to matzo for a week shouldn’t have to be boring. Here are some creative ways to use matzo as a replacement for some of your favorite meals, so you have a delicious week!

1. Avocado Matzo

Everyone loves avocado toast. Just because you can’t eat real toast, doesn’t mean you can’t savor this delicious combo. Matzo provides a super crunchy base, perfect for the creamy mashed avocado. Just mash the avocado and spread it on the matzo. Add olive oil, salt and pepper and take a bite!

2. Matzo Pizza

Another fan favorite that does not fit into a Passover meal plan, but definitely does not have to be given up. Just because you can’t get a slice doesn’t mean you can’t try some DIY matzo pizza. Spread some tomato sauce on a piece of matzo. Then add your favorite cheese and any other toppings you want. Pop it into the oven for about 10 minutes and you have a delicious, very very thin crust pizza. 

3. Chocolate Covered Matzo 

If you are looking for something sweet, this is the matzo recipe for you. Perfect for dessert or just munching on when you need a sugar rush, chocolate covered matzo is the perfect mix of salty and sweet. While it is a little more effort than the ideas above, you can find many simple recipes such as the one attached below. And trust me, its worth it!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/my-trademark-most-requested-absolutely-magnificent-caramel-matzoh-crunch-109117

These are just a few options, but there are endless possibilities for putting matzo into your favorite recipes this week!