This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Hometown: This is always a tough question because I consider a lot of places home! Mostly Norcross, GA and Greensboro, NC

College and Major: University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill Global Studies and Women’s Studies; minor in Social and Economic Justice

What do you do at Colgate?: I am the Women’s Studies Program Assistant in the Center for Women’s Studies. I organize and coordinate the Brown Bag series and off-campus speakers, supervise and build community amongst our six interns, help facilitate the Yes Means Yes seminar, support students academically and emotionally, and foster inclusive space for discussions about various facets of identity, such as gender, race, class, sexual orientation, nationality, and ability. My position is also flexible enough that I was able to co-lead the COVE’s recent North Carolina Habitat for Humanity alternative winter break trip.

What do you like best about working at Colgate?: The amazing people I work with everyday! I love and respect the level of passion, dedication, commitment, and energy students, staff, and faculty bring to their work here on a daily basis. There are so many opportunities at Colgate, whether they be guest speakers or exercise classes, and I feel constantly stimulated and invigorated continuing to be on a college campus.

Tell us your funniest memory from working at Colgate: This was definitely at the Women’s Studies “Come As You Are” Party in December 2011 when I got up in front of everyone and showed them dance moves we learned at a brown bag! I was up on the stage saying, “I never thought I would do this in my job!”

What are some of your hobbies: Ice skating, reading, writing, cooking, baking, doing yoga, being with dogs and cats (friends and family, too!), traveling, being a doula, being a mentor to young girls through programs like Girls on the Run. 

3 fun facts about yourself:
1. Sushi is one of my favorite foods! I will seriously eat salmon any way possible – in the form of lox, sushi, or baked!
2. I am a doula, which is a person who provides physical, emotional, and informational support to women during the pregnancy and birth process.
3. I absolutely LOVE learning languages and plan to take sign language in the Fall! I speak Spanish and took Japanese for a year in college.

Emily Bliss is a sophomore at Colgate University, where her academic interests include Political Science, Economics, and Chinese. She hopes to attend business school upon her graduation. In addition to being a tour guide and admissions office volunteer, she competes with the Alpine Ski Racing Team and the Rugby Club. Emily calls Cambridge, Massachusetts home, as it is where she was born and raised, though she loves living in Hamilton, New York when school is in session. Her favorite activities include spending time in and around Boston, watching Gossip Girl, traveling, and cooking!