Junk Food Alternatives: It’s all fun and games until your jeans don’t fit…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.
Greasy, fried foods like slices. Mozz sticks. Tater tots. They all seem to be everyone’s go-to late-night snack after a long night of studying (or more often partying, to be honest…). But what happens when you’ve had too many late night binges and skipped too many gym days because you were too busy? Avoid the freshman (or sophomore, or junior, or senior) 15 with these healthier late night options!

1. If you’re craving ice cream, try instead Chloe’s Soft Serve Fruit!

With its three simple ingredients of fruit, water, and a touch of cane sugar, you’ll have less regrets in the morning than you would after having downed a bowl of chocolate ice cream, and it’s available in Frank Dining Hall 24/7!

2. If you’re craving chocolate, try chocolate milk! Chocolate milk is also available 24/7 in Frank for your convenience. If you’re still hungry, try it with some cereal too. Just make sure you are choosing one that isn’t too high in sugar. (sorry Lucky Charm’s lovers)

3. If you’re craving chicken nuggets or other fast food, try cold cuts or some chicken with whole grain bread instead. You’ll get the protein without the added fats and carbohydrates.

4. If you’re craving a cheeseburger, instead try a veggie burger or a burger without cheese or a bun.

5. Fruit fruit fruit!!!! Any and all fruit is fair game. Add some peanut butter if you want to! You’ll get lots of fiber from the fruit and protein from the peanut butter to keep you full longer.

6. Microwave popcorn! Get the 100 calorie packs or the ones with less butter for  another guilt-free snack.

7. If you don’t have a microwave, try Skinny Pop! Skinny Pop and other low calorie popcorns are available at Price Chopper. With approximately 30-50 calories per cup depending on the brand, you can satisfy your munchies without the guilt of chips or other high calorie/fat snack foods.

8. Pita (or celery, or pretzels, or carrots, or basically anything) and hummus. Plus it’s available 24/7 in Frank for your snacking convenience!

9. Soup is always a good option too, especially the soups loaded with veggies! It’s available 24/7 in Frank and will help you warm up as starts to get colder outside.

10. Make your own yogurt parfait with all of the fruit you want (and maybe some granola or peanut butter). Enjoy!

11. …And if you do have to have that slice, try dabbing the excess oil off the top with a paper towel or napkin! Dabbing the excess oil of your pizza saves you up to 50 calories a slice, and you still get to enjoy a delicious slice at the end of your night.

(Credit: http://www.delish.com/food-news/a44044/dab-grease-pizza-healthy/)