Jake Danehy ’16: Advocate of the Simple Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.
Jake Danehy is a member of the class of 2016 and a fourth generation Colgate student.  Along with playing lacrosse, surfing and studying geology, he also created a clothing line focused on “simple living” to raise awareness about plastic pollution, help clean up beaches and spread awareness about mindful consumption, and the clothes are pretty rad too!

Hometown: Larchmont, New YorkNickname: JDMajor: GeographyPersonal Motto: “Sea’s the day”Fun Facts: Jake is a fourth generation Colgate student. His sister is a freshman at Colgate and his grandfather grew up on a farm in Hamilton. Number 10 Tavern even used to be called Danehy’s!  Jake also is the president of Fair Harbor Clothing, loves to do yoga and meditate, surf, and ride his bike, or “do basically anything outdoors.”Dream girl: He loves a girl with dirty blonde hair (sorry brunettes), and wants a girl who is “up to doing anything.” The perfect date for Jake would be to maybe go “stand up paddle boarding or go on an adventure.”How do you feel about being a campus celebrity?  “Flattered”

Talking about his clothing line, Fair Harbor Clothing: “Sophomore year in Geography class we were learning about overconsumption and how much waste ends up in the ocean. I had never realized how big of a problem this was. I love the ocean and surfing, so I wanted to do something to try to help. I talked to my sister and we decided to make a board shorts company. The shorts that we make are made from recycled plastic bottles.”How did you go about starting the line? “I got a lot of help through TIA and mentors, and Caroline,another one of the co-founders, knows a lot of people in the fashion world, which helped a lot. It was good to have mentors. Caroline, Sam, and I talked through exactly what we wanted to accomplish. We have already sold 85% of our initial product, and are planning a second production run and looking at designs and stuff for it now.”

Go to http://www.fairharborclothing.com to check out his rad line!