How to Get into the Holiday Spirit at School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

As exam period approaches, it is challenging to think of anything but the work we have set out in front of us. But, the holiday season is right around the corner and I know we all are looking for any excuse to procrastinate more. For this reason, I offer these fun, simple ways to get into the holiday spirit while bogged down with work at school.

1.     Adorn your room with holiday themed decorations – you can hang Christmas tree lights, display a menorah or a mini Christmas tree and cut our paper snowflakes. Adding a little bit of holiday décor can really make your room feel festive and prepare you for the fast approaching holidays.
2.     Buy candy – peppermints and chocolates remind us all of the holiday season, so why not put out a bowl of candy? Plus, when the stresses of exams begin to get to you, treat yourself to a little bit of sweetness!
3.     Play holiday music – when doing homework, showering, folding laundry, or anything really, play holiday music as it can cheer you up and get you into the holiday spirit. If you’re looking for holiday music suggestions, check out Pandora for holiday radio stations.
4.     Watch holiday movies – though it is challenging to watch movies while doing homework, I suggest taking a break from work for some entertainment. ABC Family airs their series 25 Days of Christmas every evening and Netflix has a wide array of holiday movies to choose from. If you don’t have time to watch a full movie, try watching a holiday television episode (I personally like to watch the Office holiday episodes).
5.     Make Christmas cookies – if you have access to an oven, make simple Christmas cookies! Baking can also prove to be therapeutic and relaxing as when baking, your mind focuses on following the recipe and doesn’t wander and dwell on upcoming tasks. Additionally, you make tasty treats!

Whatever you do to get into the holiday spirit, have a safe and happy holiday and good luck with exams!

Emily Bliss is a sophomore at Colgate University, where her academic interests include Political Science, Economics, and Chinese. She hopes to attend business school upon her graduation. In addition to being a tour guide and admissions office volunteer, she competes with the Alpine Ski Racing Team and the Rugby Club. Emily calls Cambridge, Massachusetts home, as it is where she was born and raised, though she loves living in Hamilton, New York when school is in session. Her favorite activities include spending time in and around Boston, watching Gossip Girl, traveling, and cooking!