The Cast of “This is Not a Play About Sex”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

This week’s campus celebrity is…. THE ENTIRE FALL 2013 CAST OF THIS IS NOT A PLAY ABOUT SEX!

This fall, students have come together for the revival of 2013 Colgate graduate Christina Liu’s original play. In the spring of 2012, Liu received the Universities Studies grant to direct a play she wrote after transcribing over 30 hours of interviews with Colgate students. Liu compiled real life stories into an episodic play about the scope of sexuality at Colgate. The play, ironically titled “This is Not a Play about Sex,” became the catalyst for open sexual dialogue all over campus. Liu formulated these anonymous accounts into dramatic monologues using perspectives from all walks of life. The content addresses controversial subjects such as masturbation, hook-ups, rape, gender inequality and LGBTQ perspectives. Audiences were able to gain insight into the lives of minority groups on campus. The liberating monologues successfully vocalized topics that are often over looked, such as the experiences of transgendered individuals and victims of sexual assault. This semester’s cast brought the play to new heights, moving the performance from Ryan Studio to the Brehmer Theatre due to such high demand. Stay tuned for a possible encore performance next semester! 

Elena Havas is a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Colgate University. She is an English Major with an emphasis in creative writing as well as a Minor in Film and Media Studies. She began blogging for Her Campus in the Spring of 2013. She has made new initiatives to expand Her Campus across Colgate's Campus. She is a native of New York City and some of her interests include life advice, pop culture, women's rights, public policy reform and referring to herself in the third person under her alias notoriously known as "lanes".