Alex Mahedy and Matt Zelak: Colgate’s Dynamic DJ-ing Duo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Alex and Matt, otherwise known as “The Maliks,” are quite the dynamic duo on the Colgate party scene. These skillful DJs take the ambiance to a whole different level than what most parties have to offer, which is why we want to name them this week’s campus celebs. If you haven’t heard their music yet, you can check them out at either Soundcloud.com/wearethemaliks or Facebook.com/wearethemaliks.

Full Names: Alexander John Mahedy and Matthew Christopher Zelak

Nicknames: Alex or Mahedy and Matt, “Sorry, nothing fancy…”

Hometowns: Alex lives in Manhattan, NY, while Matt calls Rochester, NY his home.

Majors: Alex studies Philosophy and Matt is majoring in Middle Eastern Studies and Economics.  

Minor: Alex is minoring in Economics.

Involvement on Campus: Alex is a member of the Phi Kappa Tau fraternity, while also DJ-ing at various events on campus.  Matt stated, “I do all sorts of things!”

How did you first get into DJ-ing?

Alex: “I began DJ-ing sophomore year of high school. I had heard some people play and I wasn’t terribly impressed. I figured I could work towards being as good as they were, if not better. Then I got involved with the club scene, and its music disinterested me. It was all about how much money they make for the promoters, not about the music that was playing. I appreciate music for the way it makes people feel, it should be about putting on the best show for everyone, not how much money the set makes. Once I got to Colgate there wasn’t much to do as a freshmen boy, so through connections I convinced some members of DU [Delta Upsilon] to let me DJ some of their parties as a trial. I guess the rest is history.”

Matt: “I’ve always loved all sorts of music, so when I got here I picked it up pretty quickly from the DJ club. I remember I was thrilled to get my first gig in the spring of freshman year: Bhangra night. It was tough because I was given a list of Bhangra songs to play… a genre that’s popular in South Asia… so at the end of the party there were like 4 people left and I just decided to play what I liked. Those 4 people had more energy and fun dancing than I’d ever seen. They came up to me afterwards and asked me what my name was and why I never played in frats.”

How often do you DJ at parties on campus?

Alex: “I used to DJ upwards of 3 or 4 times a week. I worked at almost every mixer DU had, and I would occasionally do things for other fraternities. I have tried to cut back this year. I like to pick one party or day out of the week to DJ. I feel like that keeps it interesting and gets people excited about the music and the party.”

Matt: “This makes me feel like I’m getting old, but probably once or twice a weekend. I had three events this weekend, but that was a bit much for me. I can’t do the 4 nights a week thing like I could sophomore year *sigh*.”

What was your favorite DJ-ing experience on campus?

Alex: “Definitely the DU SPW [Spring Party Weekend] Party. DU and I committed a lot of time to coordinating a large production. The sheer number of people in conjunction with the lighting, the atmosphere, and the music all came together to put on a very rewarding experience.”

Matt: “Alex and I threw a pretty crazy party at DU during SPW last year, and I just remember it was a nightmare until the very end. We were just back and forth on everything such as: ‘Alex, do we really need a confetti cannon and 600lbs of CO2?’ And of course we did because it was part of his grand vision. But then we started playing our set and I distinctly remember the feeling that it all came together, and everyone was having a blast. It’s so cool to know that all our work had led to that perfect moment, and we were controlling the energy in the midst of all the chaos. And then the confetti cannon went off and I really lost it.”

What’s the hardest part about DJ-ing at Colgate?

Alex: “I’d say making sure the equipment is in a position that won’t get damaged. You have to be aware of your surroundings so you can make sure people aren’t touching anything they shouldn’t be. Also, satisfying everyone’s requests is difficult. I don’t necessarily have the bandwidth to remember everyone’s requests, so sometimes I leave a few people disappointed unintentionally. My job is to pick the right song for the moment. I don’t ignore anyone, but I need to decide whether or not the request is right for the environment.”

Matt: “I’m not even remotely a night person, so when 2 a.m. rolls around, I’m pretty done. Then there’s the afterhours scenario, and Alex will be like, ‘Please, just stay for an hour and then you can leave.’ I usually give in, but sometimes I’ll just sit under the DJ booth and take a little mental nap. I did this a lot in NYC too, sometimes I just need to de-stimulate, and so it’s a huge benefit to have 2 people behind the decks.”

Do you plan on continuing to DJ after college?

Alex: “Not in a major capacity. It might be something I do occasionally.”

Matt: “Not really, I wouldn’t be opposed to the idea, but I don’t think that I will pursue it formally.”

How do you balance DJ-ing with your personal social life?

Alex: “I don’t ever feel like I’m missing out. I really enjoy what I do, and I definitely take more pleasure in connecting with the audience through music. I have the pleasure of interacting with them, as well as everyone else, through the music.”

Matt: “It seems pretty seamless to me. DJ-ing has allowed me to connect with a lot of people here, and I’ve actually been surprised by the overlap of similar passions that I share with my fellow DJs here. It can be like work, but I’ve also had a blast arranging parties with some of my friends who play as well, and then it’s just like hanging out to me; the extra 300 people there are just kind of along for the ride. Other than that, you just make time for the people you love, DJ-ing has never gotten in the way of that.”

How do you feel about being Campus Celebrity?

Alex: “It’s really an honor. To be recognized in this way really shows how far I’ve come since freshmen year orientation… But honestly, its nice that people have come to appreciate that a lot of what makes a fantastic night out is great music.”

Matt: “I feel good! Must be much better than being a celebrity celebrity. That would suck. I think Colgate’s just small enough that I am happy to share.”

Morgan is a junior at Colgate University where she majors in Creative Writing and minors in Film & Media Studies.  On campus, Morgan is a New Member Educator for greek life's Kappa Kappa Gamma.  When she's not under stacks of English literature in the library, you can find her watching old reruns of Laguna Beach with her co-correspondent leader, Caroline Parsons.  An avid listener of country music, interior design fanatic, and diehard Bachelor spectator.  Check out the blogs and articles produced by Morgan, Caroline, and their diverse (just as weird) team of writers!