5 Tips For Snagging Summer Internships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

The stress of summer internships is upon us. It’s March and that means you better snag something before you end up spending your summer selling hot dogs on the boardwalk. Here are a few pointers to snag the perfect internship! 

1. Apply Apply Apply

You may have already thrown a few fishing lines out there and you may think it’s a fine time to relax while waiting on your tug. You cannot be over confident when it comes to summer internships. No matter how good the interview went or if you think you already have a foot in the door, this is not the time to be cocky. If you don’t have an offical offer yet, assume you won’t have one. New internships pop up everyday, you have to keep the search going and keep on applying! yes applications can feel like literal hell, but you never know what you might find during the hunt. 

2. Cover Letter Perfection

Aside from a prestine resume, even if an application doesn’t require a cover letter still make sure to add one. Cover letters are professional examples of both your writing and summarizing skills. Highlight the best elements from your resume that apply to the specific internship you are applying for. Describe things you have done recently and verbalize how you specifically contributed. Add key adjectives that highlight the greatest skills you have (i.e. organized, creative, punctual, persistant) 

3. Suggest the Interview

Whether this is at the end of your cover letter or an additional follow up email, mention in a professional way that you are dying to speak to someone. Nothing should excite you more than this intern position. Convey to your potential boss that obtaining this internship is more important to you than the birth of your little sister. Verbal communication is the best way to secure a position, this is the time to let your personality shine. Mention that you would love to either speak on the phone, skype or even make the trek out of Hamilton. This will prove that you are passionate and committed. Use a high energy voice when speaking on the phone and make sure everything you say flows naturally. Again, do not word this in a cocky way, no one like’s a canidate who thinks they might already have the job. List times when you will be available to chat about the questions or interests you have about the company. 

4. Do Your Pre-Interview Research

Interviews require atleast 1-2 hours of preperation. Think of these as short exams about the company. Make sure you destroy the website, hit up every tab and get familar with the names and accomplishments. You should know their mission, history, recent events and expansions, what they ACTUALLY do, who their competitors are and what exactly your position will include. Make sure you check out all of their social media accounts as well. Get a feel for the type of company it is, what the work environment seems like it will be on a day-to-day basis. This will alow you to generate quick questions to ask at the end of the interview, questions are necessary because they make you seem engaged and interested!

5. Honesty is the Best Policy

If you have built a relationship with either someone in HR or a potential employer, keep it 100%, at all times. Do not lead them on or hide any of your motives. If money or forms of compensation are a big issue for you (which they have the right to be) you must be open and honest. Admit that you might need to explore other options if you can’t sort out some agreement that works for you and the company. 

Photo Credit:http://www.theprgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/20130606_hellointer…

Elena Havas is a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Colgate University. She is an English Major with an emphasis in creative writing as well as a Minor in Film and Media Studies. She began blogging for Her Campus in the Spring of 2013. She has made new initiatives to expand Her Campus across Colgate's Campus. She is a native of New York City and some of her interests include life advice, pop culture, women's rights, public policy reform and referring to herself in the third person under her alias notoriously known as "lanes".