This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

This week’s Campus Celeb is Will Ware ’17. As a singer and avid French speaker, Will tells Her Campus about his experience in France for his first semester abroad, amongst other awesome things he’s done!

1. Where are you from?

Well, it’s sort of a long story. I was born in England just north of London and lived there for the first six years of my life. Since then I have lived in France, Switzerland, Texas and now I live in Albany, New York. I still have the accent though, so I guess I can still say I’m from England.

1. What’s your major?

I am a French and Geology double major.

1. What are you involved in on campus?

I am in Mayflower Chill, the freshest a capella group at Colby, and next semester I’ll be taking over as co-president of the group, so that is exciting. Starting next semester I will also be a CCAK mentor and will begin working in the Art Museum. I was also a “Feb Frosh,” so I was abroad in Dijon, France for my first semester, which was such an amazing experience.

1. How old were you when you moved to the US?

I was 12 when I moved to the Houston, Texas. That was just before 7th grade.

1. What’s your favorite class you’ve taken so far?

This semester I took structural geology, which has been the best and also the hardest class I’ve taken so far. We went on four or five field trips and seaw the geology in the field, which wasawesome because we got to explore Maine as well as learn about rocks.

1. What was it like being in a foreign country for your very first semester of college (the Dijon experience, coming to Colby in the middle of the year, etc)?

For me it was awesome. I loved my semester there. The classes were fun, I made some amazing friends, did a lot of travelling and just had a great time in general. It was truly an amazing experience and I’m so thankful I went. Coming back to Colby as a Feb Frosh was interesting, but equally as exciting I think. It was cool to feel like a real Colby student for the first time and meet everyone.

1. What is your favorite song you’ve sung with Mayflower Chill?

Last semester we sung “Young and Beautiful” by Lana Del Rey, which was probably my favorite. It stood out from the rest of our set list because it was a slower song, but it didn’t loose any excitement or energy. I love that song and I really think we did it justice.

1. What’s one thing you miss about England?

My extended family all lives there so I should probably say them, but I also really miss the real Cadbury chocolate because the chocolate in America just isn’t the same.

1. Do you have any advice for future Colby Feb Frosh?

I would say to keep up with the French you learned while you were abroad. Take a class every other semester or something like that because it’s fun to know a language and it also could be useful one day.

Fun Questions

Favorite music genre: Is throwbacks a genre?

Favorite childhood memory: The first Houston Texans game I went to when I first moved to Houston.

Chips or chocolate? Chocolate.

Favorite thing to wake up to: My clock telling me I still have an hour more to sleep.

Dana, Foss, or Bobs? Bobs.

Natalie Goodman is a sophomore at Colby with a double major in Government and French. Outside of class, she is a member of the French club, the theater club, and the Hillel on campus. She is in love with makeup, chocolate, and salt and vinegar Cape Cod potato chips.
Carli Jaff is a senior at Colby with a double major in American Studies and Education. Outside of classes and being a CC for Her Campus Colby, she is the Managing Editor of the school newspaper, a writing tutor at the college writers' center, a research assistant for the Head of the Education department, and a co-chair of Colby's Senior Pledge Committee. Carli is very excited to work for Her Campus Colby and share her love for college with you all!