This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

1. SNOW

Now I know this seems like a pretty obvious reason, but the snow this year has been unlike any other – there’s been over 10 feet this season. So get out there and experience it!

2. It promotes healthy behavior

If you know that you have to get up at 6:30 AM to get to the mountain before it gets busy, the chances of you staying out late and engaging in unsafe activities are significantly lower.  No one wants to drive two hours with a headache.

3. The Colby Community

You will without a doubt see someone from Colby on the mountain on any given weekend. Whether there is a telemark clinic run by the Outing Club or just some friends teaching a novice skier on the bunny hill, you will definitely feel the Colby pride.

4. Skiing or Snowboarding  

Again, obvious. The trails really are great. The variety of runs and amazing views from every spot make this mountain a destination for everyone, beginners and experts alike. It is the largest resort east of the Mississippi River and is the only location in the northeast to have lift service above the tree line.

5. The Drive

This reason is often overlooked, but stuck in a car for two hours with friends can sometimes be the best part. Not only are you sure to have a killer playlist, but some quality conversation can happen in those early morning trips. Or, if you aren’t the driver, some quality sleep.

6. Learning how to Ski/Snowboard

It might be something you have never tried before, but they offer lessons for low prices. If you can endure three days of falling on your butt, it may be your new thing. You just have to try.

7. The Food

They have six different restaurants, so you’re bound to find something delicious. And as an added bonus, if you are the friend that refuses to go skiing all day (trust me, I’m that friend), the lodge is a very comfortable place to sit and snack for the rest of the day.

8. Base-layer Arcade

Find your inner kid – we all have one. This place has it all, but be careful with your quarters, some of the games are fairly addicting.

9. The anti-gravity center

At the base of the mountain there is a building that has every indoor fitness activity imaginable.  You can learn how to skateboard in Maine’s largest indoor skate bowl, rock climb, or bounce around on giant trampolines.  This place is for those who aren’t into the wintery weather, Sugarloaf has something for everyone.

10. The cool logo

This may seem like a dumb reason, but the stickers you can put on your computer are pretty awesome.