Spring into Spring: 4 Maine Day Trips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

With spring just around the corner, everyone on campus seems eager to be outside and enjoy the short time we have of sunny, beautiful weather.  With the warmer weather comes a plethora of activities in Maine (AKA vacationland).  There are so many beautiful places and fun activities around the state of Maine so grab a friend with a car and take a day trip!  Here are a few ideas of weekend activities to take advantage of after break:

Portland Sea Dogs game – Go enjoy an afternoon watching the minor league baseball team play at their home field in Portland.  Opening day is April 10th and general admission tickets sell for only $8. 

Bar Harbor – Head up to Bar Harbor for the afternoon and rent a bike in town.  You can explore the charming resort town and then bike into through Acadia National Park to the Jordan Pond House for lunch.  Jordan Pond House has outdoor seating situated right next to Jordan Pond, providing a beautiful setting for a delicious lunch.  Be sure to order their famous popovers!  Finish the day by driving (or biking or hiking if you’re feeling ambitious) up to Cadillac Mountain for a breathtaking panoramic view that can reach as far as both Mount Katahdin and Nova Scotia.  

Lobster fishing – Learn more about Maine’s famous lobsters on a lobstering cruise.  Check out Lucky Catch Cruises based out of Portland for an afternoon on the water.  The season starts the first weekend of May. 

Red’s Eats – Take a drive down Route 1 to the quaint coastal town of Wiscasset to check out Red’s Eats.  Red’s Eats is famous for its lobster rolls that boast at least a one-pound lobster’s worth of meat per roll, served your way with a choice of drawn butter or mayo.  Make your way to Red’s when it opens in mid-April before the crowds roll in. 

Photo Credit: http://www.acadiamagic.com/wildwood-stables-03.html

Gillian graduated from The Winsor School in Boston, MA in 2012 and is now a member of the class of 2016 at Colby College.