This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Now that it is finally warming up and starting to feel more like spring it is time to ditch the winter wardrobe- and that includes all things beauty. Many designers this season have opted for a more minimalist approach when it comes to face makeup to make way for a bold statement in some form or another, whether it is a bright lip, bold brow or exaggerated lashes. In the spirit of the warm weather it is best to keep makeup to a minimum for fast and easy application, but here are a few trends to complement your spring style.

1. Bright lips are always a classic statement, but this season they are getting a modern update as designers on and off the runway have favored a matte finish in surprising colors. Try experimenting with different shades and go for a deep purple or darker red, as seen at designers like Prabal Gurung.
  2. Dark full brows have been a favorite of designers in the past for the minimalist drama that they lend to a look. Best achieved when set against little to no eye makeup and neutral cheeks and lips, bold brows are a great way to embrace the low-maintenance tendencies of the season. Make sure to maintain with a subtle arch though so they are not overpowering.
  3. Flawless skin is always on trend, but is particularly popular this season given the dramatic hair, eye and lip preferences of designers. Easily achieved once you find the right makeup and tones, a healthy complexion is a reminder that less is more. Aim for an overall sun-kissed honey look with subtle bronzer, or a rosy glow with light pink blush like on the runways of Proenza Schouler.
  4. The ponytail is an easy solution to the approaching humidity and heat. Whether your hair is long or short, wavy or straight, the ponytail is a classic, laid-back addition to any look. Designers such as Ralph Lauren favored ponytails this season as a way of showcasing whatever facial feature they decided to dramatically play up. Try wrapping a piece of hair around the hair tie for a sleeker look.
  5. Neutral nails are popular again this season. Whether milky white, subtle nude, or darker caramel, this trend is the perfect complement to spring clothing’s bright corals and florals. Even the bolder nails colors of the season are toned down to the pastel range, most notably Essie’s spring green Navigate Her and lavender Cocktail Bling shades.

Picture Source:
http://www.elle.com/Beauty/Hair/Best-In-Show-Spring-2012#mode=base;slide=0;

Brett is a senior at Colby College. She is an international studies and anthropology double major, and spent her first semester of college in Dijon, France.  She enjoys writing, traveling, Gossip Girl, and Thai food. Already having interned at fashion designers and magazines, she is excited to contribute to Her Campus! She is also a certified personal trainer and loves working out.