SHOUT! with Geoffrey Canada

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

About a week ago, PCB announced this year’s SHOUT! theme will be Miseducation Nation and the keynote speaker will be Geoffrey Canada. The goal of this year’s SHOUT! is to explore the many issues present in the education system in the United States. Even though Canada is an alumnus of our dear rival Bowdoin College, we have to hand it to him for accomplishing a lot for the U.S. education system.

After graduating from Bowdoin and the Harvard Graduate School of Education, Canada has gone on to be president and CEO of the Harlem’s Children Zone. Harlem’s Children Zone is a non-profit organization that provides support for poverty-stricken families and children through programs such as parenting classes, pre-kindergarten classes, obesity initiative programs, and much more. The New York Times Magazine said the Zone Project “combines educational, social and medical services. It starts at birth and follows children to college.” Canada has been lauded for his work with the Harlem’s Children Zone with a 2005 U.S. News and World Report calling him one of “America’s Best Leaders.” Canada’s dedication to improving our educational system has given many less fortunate children and families a chance to receive an exemplary education. Click here to learn more about Canada and the Harlem’s Children Zone or watch his TED Talk!

The speech will take place on Thursday, February 27th at 7 PM in Lorimer Chapel. It is a ticketed event and tickets will be distributed for free to Colby students and faculty on February 24th, 25th, and 26th in Pulver Pavillion from 9AM to 1PM.

Photo Credit: http://stand.org/washington/blog/tags/21/geoffrey-canada

Gillian graduated from The Winsor School in Boston, MA in 2012 and is now a member of the class of 2016 at Colby College.