Sam LeFeber

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.
Where are you from?
Lake Oswego, Oregon.

What’s your major?

Biology and economics double major… but I might switch the economics to a history major.

Why did you choose to come to Colby?

My dad went here, and when I visited I fell in love with the campus. Also, liberal arts colleges are the cool thing to do now.

What’s your favorite part about Colby?

The incredible resources, especially the professors. The campus is gorgeous, but when it comes down to it the professors are what make Colby so special. 

What are you involved in on campus?
I spend a lot of time in the library… but I am also the assistant manager of the radio station, WMHB, which is what I spend the majority of my time doing outside of class work. I also DJ for a lot of different events both on and off campus, which is always fun. I DJ everything from all-school dances to local fundraisers. I am also in the process of starting a Colby underground racing club… er, auto club.
What’s your favorite part about running the radio station?
There is so much that I love about running WMHB. Besides the obvious fact that I get to spend a lot of time listening to music, I really enjoy working with different people. As the assistant manager, I get to interact with all the DJs who have shows, and train them on how everything works. This has been an awesome way to meet new people, and make a lot of new friends. I also get to have the opportunity to talk to people across the country about radio through conferences and online forums. This is awesome because I get to share my passion with people who also enjoy radio.  The technical aspect of the radio station is also really interesting to me. I enjoy learning about how all the different components function, and working to keep the radio station running smoothly when something goes wrong (which happens quite often).

Why did you decide to get so involved with the radio station?
I have always loved listening to the radio, and being a professional DJ through high school I knew that when I got to college I wanted to get involved with radio right away. So I did!

Most memorable moment as DJ Fall Line?I have had a lot of cool moments as a DJ. I have been able to meet a lot of interesting people, and have had a lot of pretty crazy and unique experiences (especially DJing for weddings…).  This past weekend I had the ability to open up for Coyote Kisses, and that was a blast. Definitely one to remember.

What’s your plan for after college?

Global domination through dance music? Haha. Just kidding. I actually have no idea. Part of me is still holding on to my childhood dream of being a race car driver though.

During your spare time (if you have any), what do you like to do?

Sleep. And work on my car.

How and when did you get into DJing/music production? Where do you get your inspiration?

My mom is a huge disco fan, so when I was a kid I grew up listening to disco in the car. She also loved classical music, and thought me how to count the time of the music. I attribute my love for dance music and DJing to her! My first CD was Eiffel 65’s “Europop”, and the next was the Vengaboys “Greatest Hits.”  Her love for dance music, especially electronic music, definitely rubbed off on me, and without even knowing it she was training me one of the essential skills of DJing from a young age. When I was in middle school I remember watching DJs on YouTube mix, and I was completely drawn in. I was amazed by the way they were able to interact with music, and became really interested in the idea of performing music rather than just playing it. I DJed my first event in the 8th grade with my friend using his desktop computer and itunes. I had a blast! That summer I saved up my money and bought my first set of turntables. The rest is history! 

Favorite musicians/music producers/DJs?

Wayyy too many to list them all. But I can say that my friends over at Peep This really helped me get to where I am today, and their stuff bangs. Also, shoutout to DJ Perry for helping me out over the years.

How do you hope to further your music career?

Hopefully bigger and better events!

Fun fact about yourself?

I have a phobia of watersides.

Any advice for underclassmen interested in a similar field?

Put in the time. Learning how to DJ takes a lot of time, and practice really does make perfect. 

Spirit animal: Eagle

Plain or peanut M&Ms: Peanut all the way.

Chocolate or vanilla: Swirl :D

Guilty pleasure: “2 Live Crew.” I have all of their albums and know all the words…

Would you rather have feet for hands or hands for feet? Why? Definitely hands for feet. It would be hard to mix with feet for hands.

Colby bucket list highlights: No idea. Haha.

Check out Sam’s stuff at:

Carli Jaff is a senior at Colby with a double major in American Studies and Education. Outside of classes and being a CC for Her Campus Colby, she is the Managing Editor of the school newspaper, a writing tutor at the college writers' center, a research assistant for the Head of the Education department, and a co-chair of Colby's Senior Pledge Committee. Carli is very excited to work for Her Campus Colby and share her love for college with you all!