Nailed it: Polish for Every Occasion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I’ve noticed that nail polish is the thing right now. Companies are coming out with all these cool products for nails (decals, snake skin magnetic polish, shatter and matte top coats- I can’t even keep track!), and I just want to buy all of it. Obviously, I’m a college girl on a budget so I can’t, but what I can do is work with what I have and always know that my nails look great for any and every occasion!

There are so many times when I’m going to something, whether it be a concert, nice dinner, or job interview that I want to have my nails painted for, but I don’t know what color to do. Should I do something that stands out? Or should I stick to the classics? Hopefully at the end of this, you’ll have a better idea of what nail colors to use when. P.S. I’m a huge Essie fan, so most of my suggestions will be Essie- feel free to experiment with other brands such as OPI or China Glaze!

Concerts: Concerts are a time to let loose and have fun, so let your nails have the same luxury. Do something fun that matches your outfit or even the genre of music. For example, if you’re going to an electronic music concert such as Avicii or DeadMau5, try something bright or neon! I did my nails bright orange (Essie’s “Snap Happy) with a coat of sparkles on one nail for the Avicii concert I went to. However, make sure that your nails are okay to go to class or a meeting the next day if you won’t have time to re-do them.

Class: While classes in college are pretty casual in what you wear and look like, I always try to keep my nails polished just for that extra kick. These are the times that I experiment with new colors, but I usually stick with neutrals- try Essie “Merino Cool,” “Smokin’ Hot,” or “Power Clutch” if you want to play it safe, but also take a look at more interesting colors such as “Sand Tropez,” or “Chinchilly,” or “Armed and Ready.”

Weekends: Weekends are my favorite time to experiment with nail polish! Since I don’t have class, I have more time to relax and pamper myself. On Saturdays and Sundays I usually paint my nails a brighter, more fun color, but not necessarily neon. I’ve been in love with Essie’s “Turquoise and Caicos” recently- also try “Mint Candy Apple!” Blues are super in right now, so I’ve been experimenting with a bunch of different shades. Sometimes, I’ll even do 4 nails one color and my ring finger a different color. Weekends are the time to have fun, so paint your nails and go show them off!

Meetings/Interviews: These are much more serious situations in which everything makes an impression- especially your nails when you shake hands! The safest option is not to have nail polish on at all (as much as it pains me), but I usually just paint my nails a nice light pink (try Essie’s “A-dore-a-ball” or “Ballet Slippers”)- keeping it simple is the most important in this case. In the winter I like to paint my nails darker, but I try not to have anything that is too close to black. I really like Essie’s “Bobbing for Baubles” or OPI’S “Lincoln Park After Dark.” Also try “Wicked” by Essie- that’s more of a classy, deep red that is lighter but still winter appropriate.

Vacation: Go light! If you’re going to a warm place for vacation, I would say definitely paint your nails a lighter color, whether it’s a lighter pink or a brighter color. I love Essie’s “Vanity Fairest” on my toes, and I’ve been using “Avenue Maintain” from Essie for my fingers. Also check out Essie’s “Bahama Mama” and “Picket Fence.” For more of a sparkle, I love “No Place Like Chrome” by Essie.

A few last tips: Most importantly, make sure that your nails are appropriate, both seasonally and for the occasion—you don’t want to be wearing a hot pink color in the middle of winter during a job interview. Also, have fun with your nails! During the times when you can wear whatever polishes you want, go crazy. You can always take it off if you don’t like it. Most importantly, be unique! Don’t necessarily do what everyone else is doing- nails, just like art, are a way to express your individuality. Paint your nails how you want to and show off your sense of style! 

Photo Credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/6…@N05/6874809978/

Carli Jaff is a senior at Colby with a double major in American Studies and Education. Outside of classes and being a CC for Her Campus Colby, she is the Managing Editor of the school newspaper, a writing tutor at the college writers' center, a research assistant for the Head of the Education department, and a co-chair of Colby's Senior Pledge Committee. Carli is very excited to work for Her Campus Colby and share her love for college with you all!
Gillian graduated from The Winsor School in Boston, MA in 2012 and is now a member of the class of 2016 at Colby College.