This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Year: 2017

Hometown: Boston, MA

Major/minor: Latin American Studies Major, Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies Minor

Favorite dining hall: Foss

Favorite place in the world: Hawaii

Studying abroad this year: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Favorite place you’ve travelled to so far: Salta, Argentina

Why did you decide to go abroad for the whole year?

I wanted to study abroad for the year to fully immerse myself in the culture of Argentina and to maximize my ability to learn Spanish. I decided to remain in the same country to get to know one country very well.

Back at Colby, what are you involved in on campus?

Back on campus, I am involved on the cross-country and indoor/spring track teams. I was also a research assistant for Professor Tate in the anthropology department.

What are you most excited about for senior year?

I am most excited about being reunited with my friends as well as potentially living in the apartments!

What’s the biggest difference between living and Colby and abroad?

I would say the biggest difference is most definitely the security. After being robbed twice (once at gunpoint) I will never take security for granted in America. and especially at Colby.

What advice do you have for people thinking about studying abroad?

Don’t go with expectations—just put yourself out there and try to make friends with locals!

Favorite candy: Swedish Fish

Heels or wedges: Wedges

Favorite musician/artist/group: Halsey

Spirit animal: Grumpy Cat

Carli Jaff is a senior at Colby with a double major in American Studies and Education. Outside of classes and being a CC for Her Campus Colby, she is the Managing Editor of the school newspaper, a writing tutor at the college writers' center, a research assistant for the Head of the Education department, and a co-chair of Colby's Senior Pledge Committee. Carli is very excited to work for Her Campus Colby and share her love for college with you all!