This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Where are you from?

Jackson, NJ

What is your major?

Major in Chemistry, Minor is Theater & Dance and Japanese

What are you involved in around campus?

I’m a muse and program leader for Hardy Girls Healthy Women, TA and tutor for the chemistry department and a research assistant for my organic chemistry professor.

What is your favorite class you have taken?

It’s a tie between Improvisational Practices in Dance and Mechanistic Organic Chemistry. Improv put me outside of my comfort zone and taught me a whole new way to look at dance and choreography. Mechanistic O Chem is like chemistry story time…perfect for a science nerd like me.

What is your favorite thing about being involved in these clubs and activities?

I love doing Hardy Girls because it lets me stay connected to the world off the hill. The work we do with the girls, empowering them to create social change and giving them an environment they are safe to thrive in, is something that has become really important to me. TA’ing, tutoring, and researching gives me an opportunity to get to know my professors on a different level and meet a bunch of new chemistry students.

What is something you like to do for fun?

Knitting circle scarves and headbands for my main squeeze, Aimee. I love watching documentaries about almost anything and planning for my dream travels around the world. Now that I have a kitchen, I really like cooking, which gives me hope for the day that I don’t have a meal plan. I’m always ready for a good dance rehearsal or yoga class. One of my favorite winter activities is sledding down chapel hill in my blue forever lazy.

What was your favorite part about being in “Cabaret” this past weekend?

I loved watching the whole show finally come together, with costumes, lighting, and set design. We had rehearsed primarily with only the dancers so finally seeing everything as one cohesive piece made me realize how great the play was going to be.

Is there anything you wish you did or could do before you graduate?

I want to watch the sunrise from Miller steps on a day that’s not dog head and touch the Miller library blue light.

What are you going to miss the most about Colby?

Waking up on apt 317’s couch to the sweet smell of Morgan making coffee and eating all of Aimee’s cheddar bunnies. But really, I’m going to missing living next to all of my best friends and being able to laugh with them everyday.

Do you have any advice for incoming freshman or other students at Colby?

You are going to change a lot in these next four years, be open to these changes! Try a bunch of new clubs, activities, and classes and choose to do things because you really enjoy them.  Eat as many doughnuts at Kennebec café as you can, go abroad, dress up for every theme, dance on as many elevated surfaces as possible, friends are quality over quantity, run a naked lap, and be yourself!

Gillian graduated from The Winsor School in Boston, MA in 2012 and is now a member of the class of 2016 at Colby College.