Blogging Abroad: Starting At the Beginning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Shalom! For those of you who don’t know me already, I’m Charlotte Wiesenberg and I’m a junior at Colby. I’m spending this semester in Tel Aviv, Israel. I’ve only been here for a week, but I’m already having a blast!

Brett and I thought it would be a good idea to switch things up for this blog. I plan to give out some everyday tips for living away from the hill such as how to meet locals, how to save money, how to make friends on your program, etc. But since I haven’t gotten into the full swing of things yet, I’ll dedicate this week’s entry to how to start well and some fun facts about my new home! Here goes…

How to Have a Successful Start: Make a Plan

Although I’ve only been here for a week, I feel like I’ve adjusted more and more by the day. I credit my smooth transition to thinking about what I want from this semester.

One of the first things you should do is think about why you decided to go wherever you chose to study abroad. For me, I chose Israel because I have always been fascinated by the Middle East and my Jewish heritage. Ever since I came here a few years ago on a family vacation, I have been dying to come back for an extended period of time. I basically decided “if not now, when?”

Next, you should think about what you want to get out of your experience. Do you want to become fluent in a new language? Do you want to meet locals? Do you want to travel around? I’m sure this list will evolve as the semester goes on. Right now, my goals are to become familiar with Tel Aviv, to meet as many Israelis as I can, to see as much of Israel as I can, and to learn more about Israeli society.

Then, you need to decide how you are going to accomplish your goals. If your goal is to become fluent in a new language, you should consider pledging to only speak in that language unless you’re in an emergency and can’t communicate in English. Since I really want to become familiar with Tel Aviv, I am promising myself that I will try to get out of my room as much as I can. During my last study abroad experience, I spent way too much of my downtime couped up in bed. In the end, it just made me more tired, a bit depressed, and feeling like I missed out. So I’m not going to let that happen again. If it is sunny out and I have a couple of hours, I am going to get outside and explore! So on Sunday, a friend and I pledged to wake up by 10 and head to Neve Tzedek (kind of like an Tel Aviv’s SoHo). We went out for breakfast, got on the bus, and walked around. We loved looking at the old architecture. We took notes on bars and restaurants that looked good so that we’ll have ideas in the future. And we even found some cute boutiques!

The last thing you should do is promise yourself to stick to your plan (and of course, adjust it when necessary). This isn’t something you have to do alone. That’s what your friends and family are for…to support you and encourage you to get as much as you can out of your experience! Let your loved ones know about your goals and how you’ve been progressing. Try keeping your own blog or at least sending email updates.

Some Interesting Things About Israel
-Israelis don’t get started on “real life” as soon as Americans do. After high school, Israeli citizens are required to serve in the army. Boys serve for 3 years and girls serve for 2 years. But not everyone is out on the field. I met a waitress at a coffee shop the other day who taught English for her service. After the army, some students decide to go straight to university. Others take the time to travel the world. My RA here spent a year in Africa after the army. He is 25 and is currently in university.
-You can’t J-walk in Israel. It’s illegal.
-There are these cool taxis called sheruts. They are kind of like a “shared cab.” They are big mini vans and you hail one and tell it where you want to go. You might end up sitting in a sherut with a total stranger who is going in the same direction as you. Of course, there are traditional taxis as well.
-Everyone here rides bikes to get around.
-I’ve yet to see an Israeli wearing a rain jacket. Most just carry an umbrella.
-The week here starts on Sunday. So kids have school Sunday-Thursday and their weekend is Friday and Saturday.
-There are a ton of wedding dress shops here. It’s kind of become a joke among the kids on my program. I guess Israelis love getting married.

Well that’s all for now! If there are specific things you’d like to see on this blog, let us know!

Photo Source:
www.collegecandy.com

Brett is a senior at Colby College. She is an international studies and anthropology double major, and spent her first semester of college in Dijon, France.  She enjoys writing, traveling, Gossip Girl, and Thai food. Already having interned at fashion designers and magazines, she is excited to contribute to Her Campus! She is also a certified personal trainer and loves working out.