5 Ways to Stay Calm at the End of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

The fall semester is coming to a close, and while winter break seems so close, there’s A LOT to get done before we can spend three weeks at home catching up with friends, family, and sleep. Although it’s going to be stressful finishing classes and finals, there are definitely some ways to keep calm and carry on.

Source

1. Play with a puppy. A lot of Colby’s faculty and staff have puppies and walk them around campus on a regular basis. So, next time you see one, go play with it! You’d be surprised at how much just five minutes with a dog will relax you (it’s also scientifically proven!).

Source

2. Take a break. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in studying that we don’t even realize how many hours have gone by. It’s super important to get up and walk around, do some jumping jacks, get fresh air, or all of the above. Sitting somewhere staring at a computer or a book for hours sometimes becomes less productive.

Source

3. Hang out with friends and DON’T talk about work. Get dinner in Bob’s with friends as a study break and make a pact to NOT talk about work or stress. You can even make it a deal by saying that the first person to talk about anything work-related has to buy everyone a snack from the Miller vending machines.

Source

4. Treat yourself. Spend a few minutes doing something relaxing and decadent, like getting a hot London fog at Selah or painting your nails or staring at a picture of Ryan Gosling. It doesn’t have to be extravagant, but taking care of yourself during these few weeks will go a long way.

Source

5. Switch up your study space. You’d be surprised how helpful changing your setting is. You’ll have new surroundings and a new environment to energize you for more studying.

Source

Good luck, study hard, and get ready for three blissful weeks of R&R! HCXO!

Source

Carli Jaff is a senior at Colby with a double major in American Studies and Education. Outside of classes and being a CC for Her Campus Colby, she is the Managing Editor of the school newspaper, a writing tutor at the college writers' center, a research assistant for the Head of the Education department, and a co-chair of Colby's Senior Pledge Committee. Carli is very excited to work for Her Campus Colby and share her love for college with you all!