Gun Control: How You can Make a Difference Every Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

It deeply saddens me to have to write this article. However, it’s never been more important than in today’s world. As of February 14th, there have been eighteen school shootings in 2018 alone. On Valentine’s Day, seventeen people died at a school shooting in Parkland, Florida.  

It is time that we, as a nation, as a community, as a people, talk about gun control. This has gone past being a Democratic/Republican dispute. We have given the government years to reach a decision on gun control. What have they done with those years? They have debated it during elections, using it as a hot-button issue to gain more votes. Once their term begins, they push it to the side, deciding to prioritize things like tax cuts instead.

I’m not here to bash Trump for his indecisiveness on gun control (but, if you want to read all about that, here’s a great article by CNN). Rather, I’m here to get real with you guys. We can’t sit idly by complaining about politicians getting nothing done when we’re not getting anything done either. As a people, we need to fight tirelessly for gun control. If we don’t show Washington just how important this is to us, they may never reach a decision. Don’t know where to start? That’s okay. In this article, you’ll find six things you can do to fight for gun control in America.

1. Donate to a Gun Reform Group

Money is tight right now, so I’ll donate at a better time. This is such an easy excuse for us to make. Afterall, when is money not tight? However, it is so important for us to monetarily donate to these groups. Our donations help spread awareness by paying for advertisements, events, and campaigns. You don’t have to donate much. Something is better than nothing.

2. Speak at Church or Worship Area about Gun Control

If you’re religious or spiritual, then this one’s for you. Churches and other areas of worship are filled with people who strive to make a positive difference in the world every day. Talk to your fellow members about why strict gun control is so important in today’s climate. By educating and involving others, you save lives.

3. Contact Congress

As I mentioned before, contacting Congress and the White House has never been easier. Simply text ‘resist’ to 50409, and you can complain to Congress/the President once every day. What’s so awesome about this is that your representative will actually take the time to read your complaint and will send you a personal response back. It only takes a few minutes, and it makes all the difference in the world.

4. Facebook/Tweet Your Representatives

Another great way to make your voice heard is to reach out to your local representatives as well as your national reps. Don’t know who your local representatives are? Visit this website. By contacting your representative on social media, you’ve not only let him/her know how you feel, but you’ve also let your whole social network know, too.

5. Register to Vote, and Vote Smart

This is one of the most important things you can do. If you haven’t registered to vote, do it now! You can do it online via vote.gov. Not only should you register to vote, but you should actually vote. Thoroughly research the candidates, paying close attention to their stances on gun control. This is the only way we can ensure that gun control actually gets talked about in Congress.

6. Volunteer at an Awareness Event

There is no better feeling than hitting the streets with a protest sign, a group of fiery individuals at your side. Protesting is an awesome way to get involved in the gun control movement. Not all awareness events are protests, though. Many gun control groups hold fundraisers and fairs. Every event needs volunteers. Get in touch with your local groups to see what good you can do.

Adelaide is a senior at CNU pursuing a BA in English w/ an emphasis in writing. After graduation, she plans to become an Editorial Assistant in Manhattan. In her free time, Adelaide loves reading books, playing with her two wonderful cats, and spending time with her grandpa.