Growing Up in a Small Town and Going Away to College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

I am from the small peninsula of the Eastern Shore of Virginia. Yes, you read that right: I said Virginia. Most of the time when I explain to people where I am from I usually ask, “Have you heard of Ocean City in Maryland? Well, I live about 40 minutes south on the Eastern Shore in a small town called Parksley.” If they haven’t heard of Ocean City, most people have heard of Chincoteague Island, which is relatively close to me and known for the “wild ponies”. People who see me across campus would never know I was from a “rural area”, as some would call it.

I don’t sport camo on a daily basis, but I do own some. I don’t wear my Muck boots and talk about my recent hunting experiences, but I have been hunting before. I’m just an average college student who wears yoga pants and T-shirts about 90 percent of the time. I come from an area where the main source of income is from working on the water in the seafood industry. For most people that’s unheard of. When we have fish or seafood in the dining hall, my instant thought is Is this fresh?, because where I’m from I know for a fact where my blue crabs, fish, or other seafood come from. Most people have a neighboring city that they can describe as their hometown’s location. I am from a place that is so secluded to some parts of the world it’s left off 20% of maps or is incorporated into Maryland.

I was drawn towards farther universities because of the limited opportunities I was offered in my local area. We have a community college and a university in Maryland about 45 minutes away, but I wanted  to go off on my own and explore how things work in the city. I wanted the sense of independence and the opportunity to meet different types of people from all over who were experiencing being away from home for the first time. The door to new food and retail stores in close vicinity was opened, compared to having to drive an hour away to Chick-Fil-A or Target! I know what most of you are thinking: “How did you survive?” Where I’m from, we live by a traditional sense of simple living. The food options are limited to maybe 5 places in a 10-mile vicinity. There were only 4 high schools in my county, and I only had about 200 people in my graduating class. Everyone got excited when we finally got a Wal-mart because we had never had one before. I opted to go away and live my dream by going away to college.

I chose CNU for its sense of community, academic success, and beautiful campus. I loved that it was only 2 hours away from my home. I now live in two different worlds: one when I am at home and another when I’m here at school. There are still things that happen daily on campus that I have to learn and get used to. I had never heard the term “NOVA” until I stepped foot onto CNU’s campus, where at least 50% of the student body is from. I get stuck in rush hour traffic here on my route to Target, but at home I get stuck behind a tractor. I love where I’m from, and I love coming home when I’m able to. But, I also love being fortunate enough to attend CNU, where I can get my full college experience and four-year degree. I have learned to embrace and have an open mind to how other people were brought up and how their actions show where they are from. I strongly suggest to those who grew up in a small town to go away to college and step out of your small town world. The world is open to new possibilities, new lifestyles, and places that you may never get to experience if you don’t step out of your bubble.