Cool Stuff You Can Do When You’re 21

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Most people look at their 21st birthday and say “Oh great, now I can drink legally!”

That’s fun and all, but there’s actually a lot of crazy stuff you get to do once you turn 21. Some of it may surprise you. Here’s a list of the craziest sh*t you can do once you’re legal that you may or may not have realized.

1) You Can Go To Cool Pop Up Bars / Wineries

While the Game of Thrones Pop Up Bar may have closed for the summer, there’s plenty of opportunities to go to insanely exotic places for drinks once you hit 21. You get to enjoy themed drinks, happy hour, and bar culture rather than sit there with your friends until it’s time for you to drive their drunk butts home. Not to mention, you can enjoy the allure of bougie wineries with all your other 21+ friends living in apartments with their boyfriend of two years and their small dog they call their “fur baby”.

2) You Can Gamble (AKA Have An Excuse To Go To Vegas)

Everyone dreams of their huge birthday party being in Vegas, the city of sinners. Once you’re legal, you can enjoy every single opportunity in the big city of Las Vegas with minimal repercussions (so long as you don’t steal a tiger or anything).

3) You Can Get An Adult License (With A Photo Of You That’s Post-Puberty)

Most of us don’t bother to renew our license unless absolutely necessary, but when you turn 21 you have the option of upgrading to a license that’s flipped sideways. That also means you may get the opportunity to take your picture over again so you don’t look as rough as you know you do in your original license photo.

4) You Can Adopt A Child…Like A Real One

Surprised you have to be 21? You can actually be a foster parent starting at age 18, but most people require you to be 21 before adopting a child. So if you’re really feeling that baby fever but don’t want to have one of your own, all you have to do is wait til you’re officially legal to adopt a little bundle of joy for yourself.

5) You Can Buy Weed in Colorado

By the time you’re reading this, it’s definitely possible that weed will be legalized in more places than it was when I wrote this. However, as of now your best bet to get ahold of legalized marijuana is to head to Colorado, where dispensaries are similar to drug stores (get the joke?). However, there’s also a 100% chance of you being tried as a full adult once you’re 21, so don’t plan on bringing your purchase with you back to your home state.

6) You Can Legally Get Yourself A Gun And A Permit

Firearms are a thing you can possess now that you’re 21. You can have a concealed weapons permit, meaning that when you go to a Gun Show to look at the cool vendors, you can also actually buy the weapons being sold, too.

7) You Can Become An Uber Driver

It’s definitely the easiest (but also somewhat dangerous) way to make money nowadays, and it’s quite popular. Once you turn 21, so long as you meet the other requirements, you can become a driver for Uber! You can be younger to be a passenger, but drivers are required to be of legal age. However, if you want to be a driver for Uber Eats, you can be 18!

Find something adventurous to do for your 21st birthday. It’s your last one before the real world hit and birthdays start to be less celebratory. Enjoy the festivities, get lit, and celebrate your coming of age.

I'm like hey, what's up, hello. I write things that either make your face look like this:    Or like this: ​   There is no in between.