6 Ways You & Your BFF Can Celebrate Galentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

This Saturday may be Valentine’s day, but Friday, February 13th is possibly even more important… it’s Galentine’s Day! What is Galentine’s Day, you ask?

Created by the character Leslie Knope from the NBC show Parks and Recreation, Galentine’s Day is the day before Valentine’s Day where girl friends get together and enjoy each other’s company. In the words of Ms. Knope herself, it’s the day when you and your girls “leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home, and we just come and kick it, breakfast style.” It’s all about ladies celebrating ladies. So grab your friends and get ready, ’cause here are some tips that will help you make this the best Galentine’s Day yet!

1. Get brunch!

What better way to “kick it breakfast style” than to start your day off with brunch? Bring on the waffles!

2. Give a thoughtful gift.

You don’t have to go all out Leslie-style, but give your BFF something sweet to let her know just how special she is.

3. Have a sleepover!!

Galentine’s Day is on a Friday this year, which means it’s perfect for a sleepover! Watch movies, gossip, or just snuggle up in blankets and chill. It’s a perfect way for you and your friends to spend some quality time together. 

4. Let your friends know how much they mean to you.

Whether through a hug, a nice gesture, or a cute card, tell your friends how great they are!

5. Go out and celebrate!

Have dinner at a nice restaurant, go dancing, sing karaoke, see a movie – the possibilities are endless!

6. Most importantly, spend the day with girls you love.

Remember, there’s no wrong way to celebrate Galentine’s Day as long as you do it with friends. Happy Galentine’s Day! 

Clare is currently a senior at Christopher Newport University where she is majoring in English and minoring in Women's & Gender Studies. She is a member of the English honor society Sigma Tau Delta and one of the current editors for CNU's Her Campus branch. When not trying to catch up on reading for her classes, she enjoys watching "Say Yes to the Dress" and quoting Disney movies in everyday conversation. She is a fan of all things pizza-related and hopes to one day move to New York City and become an editor.