5 Reasons You Should Watch LOVE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

So, a year ago, I found this awesome show in Netflix. Now, I will warn you, it gets pretty graphic. (I mean, duh, it’s a contemporary show about modern love, of course it’s filled with lots of sex, drugs, and alcohol.) But, that’s part of what makes it so great.

LOVE, a comedy/drama created by Judd Apatow, Lesley Arfin, and Paul Rust (Rust actually stars as one of the shows two main leads), details the love lives of two unseemingly compatible millennials: Mickey (Gillian Jacobs), a radio producer who’s actually a Sex & Love addict (but is also an alcoholic & drug addict so there’s that) and Gus, a movie set educator with big dreams of writing/directing/producing in Hollywood. Together, along with their roommates, friends, and families, they navigate adult life in Los Angeles.

Sadly, it’s only three seasons, but it’s fine. I’m not salty or anything.

Now onto why it’s the best freaking show I’ve seen in awhile.

1. The characters — relatable.

The characters are very complex; you love to hate them. From Mickey’s inability to understand the emotions of others and Gus’s desire to please every single person who walks through the front door, you’re cringing at their behavior but laughing because you see yourself in all of them.

2. The plot — predictable, yet not.

Like that part where everyone thinks Mickey hates guns because she’s a weed smoking hippy, except she shoots better than Gus’s father (tbh I’m Mickey in all situations but it’s fine). Spoiler alert: there’s a happy ending. But, the road to it is filled with a lot of heartache and awkward moments. You know what’s coming up, but somehow it makes sense for it to. After all, this is a show about modern life, not some fantastical miniseries with outcomes and situations we would never actually face in our lives.

3. The soundtrack — every Indie kids dream.

Forreal, y’all. I knew like 97% of the songs used in this show, and they fit the vibes so well. Kudos to whomever did the song selection.

4. IT’S SO REALISTIC.

I mentioned this a bit with the plot portion. Like, this show, man. I just can’t with it. From the confusion the characters feel to the desperation that filters in with people who have trust issues to the confrontation of big problems through something small, it’s all there in the show.

5. The cheese level — unfathomable.

I’m a sucker for really corny humor. I think all day; I want to relax to a show that doesn’t make me think (hence why The Office and Parks & Rec are like my two other favorite shows). LOVE has all of that for me. Sure, sometimes I wanted to throw my computer at a wall because of Bertie’s (Mickey’s roommate) inability to break up with her leecher boyfriend, Randy, but her awkwardness in social situations and the corny jokes she’d say to break the ice were just examples of great screenwriting.

Watched LOVE yet? Hated it? Thought it deserved another season (also, the ending was totally predictable but cute and I loved it)? Let us know in the comments!

You can categorize Royall as either Leslie Knope when she has her color-coded binders: or Hyde whenever Jackie comes into a room before they start dating: There is no in-between.  Royall recently graduated with her B.A. in Sociology & Anthropology from CNU and now studies Government & International Relations at Regent University. She also serves as the Victim Advocate and Community Outreach Coordinator for Isle of Wight Co., VA in Victim Witness Services. Within Her Campus, she served as a Chapter Writer for CNU for one year, a Campus Expansion Assistant for a semester, Campus Correspondent for two years, and is in the middle of her second semester as a Chapter Advisor.  You can find her in the corner of a subway-tiled coffee shop somewhere, investigating identity experiences of members of Black Greek Letter Organizations at Primarily White Institutions as well as public perceptions of migrants and refugees. Or fantasizing about ziplining arcoss the French Alps.