5 Activities to Try Instead of Watching Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

We’re all guilty of the occasional Netflix binge. Well, maybe it’s more than occasional. Maybe it’s more like three times a week, or maybe even every day. Who’s judging?! We’re certainly not. Sometimes, though, when you find yourself four episodes deep into your binge and the screen goes black, you see your face staring back at you on your laptop screen. You sit there, staring at yourself, realizing you could be doing so many other things. So, naturally, what do you do? You click ‘play next episode’.

What would have happened if you didn’t click play? Would you have finally made that outline for your essay, or would you have actually folded your laundry? Maybe, but why should you stop watching Chandler make corny jokes just to clean and do homework? If you’re going to power down Netflix, you may as well make it for something equally as fun as binge-watching Stranger Things. Here, I’ve made a list of 5 free things to do instead of watching Netflix — that are just as fun.

1. Make a bullet journal.

Bullet journals are like personalized agendas; they can be as simple or as crazy as you want. You can track your habits, make a hard copy of your wish list, and write out your homework all in one place. All you need is a notebook and a pen–2 things every college student (hopefully) should have. To learn more about bullet journals, visit Buzzfeed.

2. Read a book. 

Whether you’re an avid reader or someone who only likes to read the backs of cereal boxes, there is something out there for you! From classic lit to dystopian teen fiction, there is a book just waiting to wrap up your attention. Browse your local library or bookstore, or search on Goodreads for personalized suggestions.

3. Take a walk with a brand new Pandora station.

Walking is one of the easiest ways to stay active on campus. To fight boredom on your walk, listen to a Pandora station you’ve never heard of — extra points if it’s a genre or artist you’ve never heard of, like 60’s folk — and don’t skip any of the songs.

4. Do some yoga.

Thanks to the internet, yoga is surprisingly accessible. There are tons of different Youtube channels that offer free full-length yoga lessons for all different experience levels. Yoga with Adriene offers a more relaxed style, while Lesley Fightmaster will get you sweating on the mat. Have no mat? No problem! Use a towel if need be.

5. Do a crossword puzzle.

Challenge your mind. Sudoku can take hours and can be super frustrating. Crossword puzzles sharpen vocabulary and wit and only take about twenty minutes! USA Today offers free puzzles every day.

No matter what you decide to do, decide to do something different! Sure, we all need #JusticeForBarb, but Netflix will be there when you get back. Who knows? Maybe you’ll find your new favorite hobby!

Adelaide is a senior at CNU pursuing a BA in English w/ an emphasis in writing. After graduation, she plans to become an Editorial Assistant in Manhattan. In her free time, Adelaide loves reading books, playing with her two wonderful cats, and spending time with her grandpa.