Your First Winter: A Guide to Winter Outerwear and Apparel

Posted -

I know your type.  You come to the North, the land of cold, icy winters, for opportunity or adventure, for love.

People warn you about the cold winter.  “Dress in layers,” they say. You’re no dummy, so you pack your warm clothes: a sweater, a leather jacket, ankle socks, one pair of suede shoes.

You arrive in the long steamy months of August and you don’t see what all the fuss is about. September comes. The leaves change colors.  You make new friends.  You find someone good to cut your hair. As the weeks go by the weather grows cooler, sure, but you can handle it.

Suddenly it’s October and the temperature outside is as cold as you’ve ever experienced.  You see the mist your breath creates when you step outside in the morning for the first time.  It’s thrilling and novel.

In November you see your first snow flurries and they begin to accumulate. And the more you hear about the winter, the more you fear it. But the locals around you laugh and say “This isn’t winter; winter hasn’t even started yet!”

Fear not! This guide will tell you everything you need to know about winter clothing including:

• Getting the right outerwear (jackets, gloves, boots, socks)
  • Strategies for layering
  • For you international folks, how to convert Fahrenheit to Celsius in your head 

Let’s face it: you can’t change the weather, but you can change what you wear. If you dress appropriately and get the right gear, winter won’t be as much of a struggle. So let’s get you outfitted properly.

No one wants to end up like this guy.

Pages

Comments