You Know What’s Not Sexy? Frostbite.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

It’s 30 degrees out, the snow is falling, our fingers are numbing, our noses are running. We’ve officially reached the coldest, harshest peak of winter here in Pittsburgh.

When I go out, the thing that always catches my eye is the high number of women still wearing short skirts and cocktail dresses and pumps, legs pale and frozen, limping through the snow as quickly as they can to get to their warm destination. It looks and sounds ridiculous, and we ourselves know it. But what can we do? I personally am no exception to this norm; the inside of the club is hot, and it feels a hell of a lot better to dance in shorts than skin-tight jeans.

As a girl, going out at night during the winter can be very difficult. The snow melts your make up, crop tops make you feel as though your stomach is being sliced by the wind. You want to maximize your warmth and minimize the amount of sexiness lost. But let me tell you: while your risque clubbing outfit may make you look like a hot goddess, there is nothing sexy about pneumonia.

I now indulge you with some tips to keep warm without compensating aesthetic.

1. Layer sweatpants on top of your skirt/shorts/dress. It will look ridiculous, but once inside the club you can quickly shed them at your earliest convenience.

2. Layer tights under your skirt/shorts/dress. Tights will show off those awesome calves of yours while still keeping you one layer away from hypothermia.

3. Have a hot drink before heading out. It will allow your body to retain some warmth before going out into wintery hell. If you’re over 21 and want to get turnt, an Irish coffee is not out of the question. 

I'm a student at Carnegie Mellon University, pursuing a Bachelor of Humanities and Fine Arts in Professional Writing and Fine Art, with a minor in Design.
I am currently senior majoring in Business Administration and Statistics with a track in Finance at Carnegie Mellon University. Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Enid Blyton and J.K Rowling are a few of my favorite authors. I also love watching British TV shows (Sherlock is my favorite!). On campus, I am involved in several activities, including Carnegie Mellon Business Association and Smart Woman Securities.