Vanessa Frank: Alpha Phi Greek Sing Chair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Name: Vanessa Frank

Age: 20

Major/Minor: Dramaturgy

Hometown: Uniontown, PA.

Hobbies: Hiking, biking, going to concerts

Involvements on campus:  I am currently the Greek Sing chair for Alpha Phi, a member of the CMU ski and snowboard team, as well as a contributor to The Cut magazine.

What inspired you to become involved with Alpha Phi and how did you get involved?

I think a lot of people don’t know what they’re getting into when they join Greek life.  I definitely fell into that category. Joining a new sorority sounded like an interesting adventure.  I never could have predicted what I’ve gotten out of it. Since I’m a drama major, Greek Sing was definitely up my alley.  I had a ton of fun being in the show last year, so I decided to try running it myself.

What responsibilities are included in being a Greek Sing chair?

For the event, I work with the other directors to put together our abridged musical.  I also work with the philanthropy chair to organize events and seek out donors and advertisers to raise money for The Childrens’ Institute.  The Greek community’s goal is to raise $100,000 from this years’ event, so we’re working really hard to contribute our part.

What is the most challenging part of being director for Alpha Phi’s Greek Sing show? What was the most rewarding?

This is our second year as a chapter and our second year participating, so we’re still figuring out our process.  It’s a lot of work, but we’re all learning from it.  The most rewarding part is watching our script come to life.  After all the planning and rehearsing, it will be all worth it when we get to see the other organizations’ hard work and show our final product as well.

Do you have any advice to share with your fellow collegiettes?

Spend some time falling madly in love with yourself, rather than “fixing” yourself.  If you start embracing everything about who you are- all the silly, beautiful, weird, dark parts of yourself, you’ll save a lot of time in the long run trying to be anyone else.

I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.